Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formatting a cell - remove a dash

Hello and please help. I need to know how to change the following number in
my cell from 1234-5678 to read as 12345678. Basically I want to remove the -
from my number. I have over 14000 lines and each number in the column needs
to have the dash remove from the number. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First question... Is it a format is is there an acutal dash in the cell
value. If it is a format then just switching the number format to genreal
will remove the dash. If there is an actual dash character then try using
Find and Replace.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Shawna" wrote:

Hello and please help. I need to know how to change the following number in
my cell from 1234-5678 to read as 12345678. Basically I want to remove the -
from my number. I have over 14000 lines and each number in the column needs
to have the dash remove from the number. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the range of cells in question
Goto the menu EditReplace
Find what: -
Replace with: nothing, leave this empty
Replace All

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Shawna" wrote in message
Hello and please help. I need to know how to change the following number
in
my cell from 1234-5678 to read as 12345678. Basically I want to remove
the -
from my number. I have over 14000 lines and each number in the column
needs
to have the dash remove from the number. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Shawna,

I'd go into the Find and replace menu. (Key strokes: Ctrl+f). In the
replace tab, in the "Find what:" data field, type in "-" (without the "", of
course). In the "Replace with:" data field, don't type in anything - leave it
blank. Then, select "Replace All."

If this somehow doesn't work, hit Ctrl+z to undo what you just did.

Hope this helps!