Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I need to filter on two colums....

but I want to look in both columns for the same value.

Column 1 has 20 different depts as 'inputs' adn column 2 has the same 20 as
outputs - I want to filter so that I can see all outputs / inputs for one
dept?

make sense?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, this doesn't do what I want.

If Column 1 has dept X in rows 3,5,8 but also has dept X in column 2 rows 7,
12 & 14 - the firsy filter will only disply 3,5 & 8 and then the 2nd filter
finds nothing.

I need a filter which says something like " show all rows where cell value =
Dept x for Column 1 or Colum 2"

Thanks

"Per Jessen" wrote:

Select your entire table, goto Data Filter Autofilter.

Now select the department to filter for in column 1 and 2.

Regards,
Per

"Dave Eade" skrev i meddelelsen
but I want to look in both columns for the same value.

Column 1 has 20 different depts as 'inputs' adn column 2 has the same 20
as
outputs - I want to filter so that I can see all outputs / inputs for one
dept?

make sense?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm kind of confused about what you really need, but I like to add another
column and put a formula in that column that returns something that I can filter
on.

For instance:

Use a formula like:
=a2=b2
And drag down the helper column.

You'll see True when the value in column A matches the column B.

If you really wanted to just see the rows where column A matched column B and
both were Dept X, you could use:

=countif(a2:b2,"Dept x")
drag down
and filter to show 2's
Or filter to show non-zeros to see the rows that have at least Dept X in one of
the cells.

--

Dave Peterson