Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default adding columns with decimals out to far

not sure how to explain, but I am totalling a column that has been multiplied
with another column and it has a 3 digit decimal, I can fix it to show only
the 2 digits, but when I add the column up it is adding ALL of it... for
example

Column A Column B
30.00 (A*13.88%)=B 4.16(4) I can eliminate the (4)
showing.. but it
30.00 4.16(4) still adds it in in
the total at the bottom..
30.00 4.16(4)

total always add the 3rd digit.. I need it to round up/down EACH figure
seperately, so when I add Column B up its should give me a total of 12.48
instead I get 12.49

Thanks
MK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Always then round your calculations to 2 decimals. Iso saying =A1*.88, or
A1*B1, where B1 = .88, use =ROUND(A1*.88,2) or =ROUND(A1*B1,2)

--
HTH

Kassie

Replace xxx with hotmail

"mastermk" wrote:

not sure how to explain, but I am totalling a column that has been multiplied
with another column and it has a 3 digit decimal, I can fix it to show only
the 2 digits, but when I add the column up it is adding ALL of it... for
example

Column A Column B
30.00 (A*13.88%)=B 4.16(4) I can eliminate the (4)
showing.. but it
30.00 4.16(4) still adds it in in
the total at the bottom..
30.00 4.16(4)

total always add the 3rd digit.. I need it to round up/down EACH figure
seperately, so when I add Column B up its should give me a total of 12.48
instead I get 12.49

Thanks
MK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

A1 = 30

=ROUND(A1*13.88%,2)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"mastermk" wrote in message
not sure how to explain, but I am totalling a column that has been
multiplied
with another column and it has a 3 digit decimal, I can fix it to show
only
the 2 digits, but when I add the column up it is adding ALL of it... for
example

Column A Column B
30.00 (A*13.88%)=B 4.16(4) I can eliminate the (4)
showing.. but it
30.00 4.16(4) still adds it in in
the total at the bottom..
30.00 4.16(4)

total always add the 3rd digit.. I need it to round up/down EACH figure
seperately, so when I add Column B up its should give me a total of 12.48
instead I get 12.49

Thanks
MK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"mastermk" wrote:
I can fix it to show only the 2 digits, but when I add the column
up it is adding ALL of it

Formatting only affects the __appearance__ of a cell value. It does not
alter the underlying value.

If you want the value to treated as having only 2 decimal places, I think
the best method is to explicitly round expressions it yourself.

30.00 (A*13.88%)=B 4.16(4) I can eliminate the (4)

The formula should be:

=ROUND(A1*13.88%, 2)

when I add Column B up its should give me a total of 12.48
instead I get 12.49

It is usually prudent to round sums of values -- all arithmetic formulas --
even if you rounded the individual values. For example:

=ROUND(SUM(B1:B10),2)

This solves a very different problem, one that frequently surprises people
due to the way that Excel and most applications store numbers and perform
arithmetic (binary floating point). Rounding ensures that "what you see is
what you get".