Smudger

Default Percentages error

I had an excell sheet from a colleague and ever since when I use percentages
it puts an 'N' in the number eg 99N% - Question: - Is there any way of going
into the settings and correcting this - It is now happening on all my
spreadsheets - New and Old

Cheers

Smudger

PS Merry XMas to you all and thanks for all your help this year!
tjtjjtjt

One version of what seems to be happening:
The error happens when you try to do calculations with the percentage?
'N' is not a number. Therefore Excel consider 99N% to be a word, not a
number. You can't do math with words.

What is the letter for? Is it always an N? Are your numbers always two
digits long?

If you want to use the percentages in calcualtions, you'll need to make the
N either part of the formatting (will only work easily if the letter is
always N) or store it in another cell.

tj

"Smudger" wrote:

I had an excell sheet from a colleague and ever since when I use percentages
it puts an 'N' in the number eg 99N% - Question: - Is there any way of going
into the settings and correcting this - It is now happening on all my
spreadsheets - New and Old

Cheers

Smudger

PS Merry XMas to you all and thanks for all your help this year!

tjtjjtjt

Look like I misread your post. Never try to answer questions before coffee.
It puts the N in automatically?
You could check to see what the number format is. Select a cell where this
happens and go to Format | Cells | Number.
Is it a Custom Format that looks something like:
0"N"%

It's also possible that this got applied to the Percentage Style, so you
might try looking at Format | Style. Pick Percentage out of the list. Then
pick Modify. Check out the number format for the style. Does it have a Number
format similar to
0"N"%

If either of those is true, delete the N and the quotation marks.

tj