Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default dropdown boxes make file size too large

Hi. I'm using Excel 2007. I have a cell with a dropdown box that has the
values 1 thru 10. When I save the file (as an Excel 97-2003 compatible .xls
file), it's 17kb which is normal.

I want multiple dropdown boxes going down the same column, so that every
time the user goes to the next row, another dropdown box will be displayed. I
copied the cell with the dropdown box, selected the entire column, and pasted
the dropdown box.

This time when I save the document, it's over 2MB in file size. I've seen
other spreadsheets with several columns of dropdown boxes spanning thousands
of rows and they stay under 30kb. I don't know what they did differently to
keep their file size small.

Why is my file size so large and how do I fix this? Do I need to use a
'paste special' function? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe because thousands of rows are still less than 1 million rows.
Regards,
Stefi

€˛Terin€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hi. I'm using Excel 2007. I have a cell with a dropdown box that has the
values 1 thru 10. When I save the file (as an Excel 97-2003 compatible .xls
file), it's 17kb which is normal.

I want multiple dropdown boxes going down the same column, so that every
time the user goes to the next row, another dropdown box will be displayed. I
copied the cell with the dropdown box, selected the entire column, and pasted
the dropdown box.

This time when I save the document, it's over 2MB in file size. I've seen
other spreadsheets with several columns of dropdown boxes spanning thousands
of rows and they stay under 30kb. I don't know what they did differently to
keep their file size small.

Why is my file size so large and how do I fix this? Do I need to use a
'paste special' function? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Terin wrote:
Hi. I'm using Excel 2007. I have a cell with a dropdown box that has the
values 1 thru 10. When I save the file (as an Excel 97-2003 compatible .xls
file), it's 17kb which is normal.

I want multiple dropdown boxes going down the same column, so that every
time the user goes to the next row, another dropdown box will be displayed. I
copied the cell with the dropdown box, selected the entire column, and pasted
the dropdown box.

This time when I save the document, it's over 2MB in file size. I've seen
other spreadsheets with several columns of dropdown boxes spanning thousands
of rows and they stay under 30kb. I don't know what they did differently to
keep their file size small.

Why is my file size so large and how do I fix this? Do I need to use a
'paste special' function? Thanks.

How many rows are YOU actually using? You've attached the drop-down box
to one million rows. Just copy it to the rows that need it, not the
entire column.

Bill