Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Filtering with keyword

We have columns with 50+ items that are unique. Filtering from using a
pulldown isn't desired. We need a keyword search. Is this possible?
Similar to some sites that reduce results depending upon the keyword entered.

example-
Keyword: [ Carpet ]
Carpet and Tile
Carpet and VCT
Wall mount Carpet

Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

We have columns with 50+ items that are unique. Filtering from using a
pulldown isn't desired. We need a keyword search. Is this possible?
Similar to some sites that reduce results depending upon the keyword
entered.

example-
Keyword: [ Carpet ]
Carpet and Tile
Carpet and VCT
Wall mount Carpet

Here's one way using Excel 2003.

If the data is in columns B onward, with the item names in column B, and
with row 1 as a title row, put this in A2
=ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A$1,B2))
and copy down as far as needed.

Then select column A and use
Data Filter AutoFilter

The search term is typed into A1.

Choosing TRUE in the A1 pull-down list filters the data.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That works great once. Am I don't something wrong? When I change the search
word, the autofilter doesn't update the column.
Do I have to kep selecting the filter to update or can I get it to update
the display when I change the keyword?

"MyVeryOwnSelf" wrote:

We have columns with 50+ items that are unique. Filtering from using a
pulldown isn't desired. We need a keyword search. Is this possible?
Similar to some sites that reduce results depending upon the keyword
entered.

example-
Keyword: [ Carpet ]
Carpet and Tile
Carpet and VCT
Wall mount Carpet

Here's one way using Excel 2003.

If the data is in columns B onward, with the item names in column B, and
with row 1 as a title row, put this in A2
=ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A$1,B2))
and copy down as far as needed.

Then select column A and use
Data Filter AutoFilter

The search term is typed into A1.

Choosing TRUE in the A1 pull-down list filters the data.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Custom Filter on "contains"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP