Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GEM GEM is offline

Default AutoFilter then dragging down.

I am trying to filter information I have on a worksheet and then adding
numbers to a column right next to the info and dragging it down to have 1, 2,
3, etc. It turns all the numbers I dragged down to 1. Why??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are the numbers you're adding in the column to the right a formula reference
to the filtered list? If so Excel is probably treating the filtered list as
a named (fixed) reference. That is instead of referencing an individual cell
in the filtered list it is referencing the entire list. To fix this I
usually just specify the cell reference in the formula. Hope this helps.

"GEM" wrote:

I am trying to filter information I have on a worksheet and then adding
numbers to a column right next to the info and dragging it down to have 1, 2,
3, etc. It turns all the numbers I dragged down to 1. Why??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just thinking - you may have calculation set to manual. Go to
ToolsOptionsCalculation then make sure the "Automatic" button is selected.

"GEM" wrote:

I am trying to filter information I have on a worksheet and then adding
numbers to a column right next to the info and dragging it down to have 1, 2,
3, etc. It turns all the numbers I dragged down to 1. Why??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GEM GEM is offline

No, when I filter and then drag it won't drag continues numbers down.

I filter all the cells that have the name JOHN DOE on column A, so now I
only have A1, A4, A7, A15, A21 & A42 showing because all of them have the
name JOHN DOE. When I add the number 1 then the number 2 to B1 and B4 and
then select them both and drag them down, it won't continue as 1, 2, 3, 4,
etc. it turns them all to 1.

How can I drag the numbers down and get, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc...

"GEM" wrote:

I am trying to filter information I have on a worksheet and then adding
numbers to a column right next to the info and dragging it down to have 1, 2,
3, etc. It turns all the numbers I dragged down to 1. Why??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Show all your data
Sort the data so that you have it grouped the way you want.
Put the numbers in.
Re-sort the data to put it in the order that you want.

--

Dave Peterson

2007 Autofilter worse than 2003 Autofilter jsky Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 9 October 31st 07 12:14 AM
Dragging Art Excel Worksheet Functions 3 January 3rd 07 03:51 PM
How to Sort within AutoFilter with Protection on (and AutoFilter . giblon Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 February 16th 06 12:23 PM
dragging Caryn B Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 July 1st 05 04:36 PM
Dragging Across Yasmeen Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 February 15th 05 01:39 PM