Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I am trying to find cotangent in the formulas.

I am trying to find cotangent in the formulas. there is sin and cosine I
thought about trying to divided sin/cosine but it will not allow it. After
sin() it is required to place a number in ().

Robin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Robin" wrote:
I am trying to find cotangent in the formulas. there is sin and cosine I
thought about trying to divided sin/cosine but it will not allow it.
After
sin() it is required to place a number in ().

Well, the cot = cos/sin. So, if A1 is the angle in radians, then:
cos(A1)/sin(A1).

On the other hand, cot = 1/tan. So: 1/tan(A1).

But note that the Excel function parameter is in radians. If A1 has the
angle in degrees, then: 1/tan(radians(A1))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Joe,

I apologize for mentioning incorrect cotangent formula.
I have tried what you have suggested in excel. I must be missing something.
Here is the scenario. There is a divergent angle the adjacent is 18.5 cm and
the opposite is 100 cm. I then have .185. In my calculator (degree mode) I
place .185 and then pres shift tan. The answer is 10.481 degrees. I cannot
accomplish this in excel. I have tried many ways. I am sure it 10.48 degrees
since I have made a scaled diagram.

Sincerely

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Robin" wrote:
I am trying to find cotangent in the formulas. there is sin and cosine I
thought about trying to divided sin/cosine but it will not allow it.
After
sin() it is required to place a number in ().

Well, the cot = cos/sin. So, if A1 is the angle in radians, then:
cos(A1)/sin(A1).

On the other hand, cot = 1/tan. So: 1/tan(A1).

But note that the Excel function parameter is in radians. If A1 has the
angle in degrees, then: 1/tan(radians(A1))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The answer is 10.481 degrees. I cannot
accomplish this in excel.

Hi. Make sure you convert the Radian answer to Degrees.

=ATAN(0.185)

0.182931766

=DEGREES(0.182931766)

10.48121814

= = = = =
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Robin" wrote:
I am trying to find cotangent in the formulas. there is sin and cosine I
thought about trying to divided sin/cosine but it will not allow it.
After
sin() it is required to place a number in ().

Well, the cot = cos/sin. So, if A1 is the angle in radians, then:
cos(A1)/sin(A1).

On the other hand, cot = 1/tan. So: 1/tan(A1).

But note that the Excel function parameter is in radians. If A1 has the
angle in degrees, then: 1/tan(radians(A1))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Robin" wrote:
In my calculator (degree mode) I place .185 and then pres
shift tan. The answer is 10.481 degrees.

It appears that you are talking about the arctan function, not cot. In
Excel:

=DEGREES(ATAN(0.185))

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Robin" wrote:
I am trying to find cotangent in the formulas. there is sin and cosine
thought about trying to divided sin/cosine but it will not allow it.
After
sin() it is required to place a number in ().

Well, the cot = cos/sin. So, if A1 is the angle in radians, then:
cos(A1)/sin(A1).

On the other hand, cot = 1/tan. So: 1/tan(A1).

But note that the Excel function parameter is in radians. If A1 has the
angle in degrees, then: 1/tan(radians(A1))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It looks like you want this formula...

=DEGREES(ATAN(18.5/100))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Robin" wrote:
I am trying to find cotangent in the formulas. there is sin and cosine
thought about trying to divided sin/cosine but it will not allow it.
After
sin() it is required to place a number in ().

Well, the cot = cos/sin. So, if A1 is the angle in radians, then:
cos(A1)/sin(A1).

On the other hand, cot = 1/tan. So: 1/tan(A1).

But note that the Excel function parameter is in radians. If A1 has the
angle in degrees, then: 1/tan(radians(A1))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Robin" wrote:
It worked well, I do onot understand what is behind the excel
terminology concerning this.

Excel is using the math terms correctly. You are not; or perhaps the
markings on your calculator are misleading you.

And that begs the question: what is it that you really want to calculate:
the cotangent, as you indicated originally; or the arctangent, which is
shift+TAN on your calculator?

Whereas x^-1 (where "^" indicates superscript) is 1/x, tan^-1(x) is not
1/tan(x). 1/tan(x) might be written as tan(x)^-1.

The cotangent (cot) is 1/tan(x), the reciprocal of tan(x). The arctangent
(atan) is tan^-1(x), the inverse function of tan(x).

If f(x) = y, the inverse function g(y) = x. So, atan(tan(x)) = x.

On my HP-11C, blueshift+TAN is marked tan^-1, and it computes the
arctangent, not the cotangent 1/tan.

But that does not mean that's the right caculation for you to use. GIGO.