Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jd jd is offline

Default Sorting or Filtering

Can someone please help me? I need to sort a column by the number of
digits...not the amount. Some numbers are 6 digits, 8 digits, and then 14
digits. I need to sort them by the number of digits and not the value. Any
ideas?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=len(trim(a2)) in a helper column

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"JD" wrote in message
Can someone please help me? I need to sort a column by the number of
digits...not the amount. Some numbers are 6 digits, 8 digits, and then 14
digits. I need to sort them by the number of digits and not the value.
Any
ideas?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say your data is in A2:A#### (headers in row 1).

Insert a new column A (a column to help you do something--therefore, a helper
column).

Put a nice header in the new A1:
Length

Then in A2, put Don's formula:
=len(trim(a2))

Then drag that formula down as far as you need (matching the amount of data in
column B).

Then select the entire range and sort your data.

Debra Dalgleish has some tips for that formula entry he
http://contextures.com/xlDataEntry01.html
and using the mouse to drag down the formula he
http://contextures.com/xlDataEntry01.html#Mouse

"JD" wrote in message
Can someone please help me? I need to sort a column by the number of
digits...not the amount. Some numbers are 6 digits, 8 digits, and then 14
digits. I need to sort them by the number of digits and not the value.
Any
ideas?

Thanks

--