dsbiloxi

Default Sorting and filtering

I am using Excel 2000 (9.0 6926-SP-3) and I am having problems with filtering
and sorting. Neither function is working with all the selected cells. On more
than one occassion, I have had to sent a spreadsheet to a co-worker and the
functions operate correctly. These are simple basic functions for excel and
there should be no excuse for these not to operate as designed. But what
really is indicative of the monopoly abuse exercised by Microsoft, is that we
users should have to pay in order to get support for such basic functions.
This is like buying a new car and having to pay for the 4th tire.

Ken Wright

My outlook generally is that until I've proved otherwise, it's probably my
mistake, not Excel's. I'm not often wrong wrt that.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"dsbiloxi" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2000 (9.0 6926-SP-3) and I am having problems with

filtering
and sorting. Neither function is working with all the selected cells. On

more
than one occassion, I have had to sent a spreadsheet to a co-worker and

the
functions operate correctly. These are simple basic functions for excel

and
there should be no excuse for these not to operate as designed. But what
really is indicative of the monopoly abuse exercised by Microsoft, is that

we
users should have to pay in order to get support for such basic functions.
This is like buying a new car and having to pay for the 4th tire.

dsbiloxi

when I attempt to sort all the data, either in ascending or descending order,
I will not get always get all the like data grouped together. For example, I
want to see all of my estimated man-hours for serveral construction projects
by plant systems and there are 10 different systems. When I sort soley by
column entitled "Plant Systems." I expect to find system "400" all grouped
together and likewise if I use the "Autofilter" feature and select "400". But
this is not happening. I may find "400" all over. I have experiemented with
several machine in our office and the only ones that have Excel 2002 and
operating on XP will give me the correct results. I have downloaded all the
upgrades for my Office 2000 and I am still not getting correct results. By
the way, if I did not clarify this point, please note that none of our
machines with Office 2000 produced the correct results. Any help is
appreciated.

"dsbiloxi" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2000 (9.0 6926-SP-3) and I am having problems with

filtering
and sorting. Neither function is working with all the selected cells. On

more
than one occassion, I have had to sent a spreadsheet to a co-worker and

the
functions operate correctly. These are simple basic functions for excel

and
there should be no excuse for these not to operate as designed. But what
really is indicative of the monopoly abuse exercised by Microsoft, is that

we
users should have to pay in order to get support for such basic functions.
This is like buying a new car and having to pay for the 4th tire.

Ken Wright

If you use autofilter and it shows you more than one 400 then they are
different. Could be leading or trailing spaces, text vs numeric etc, but
they are different. Check the values carefully.

--

"dsbiloxi" wrote in message
[...]

Ken Wright

LOL - a) I beg to differ, and b) Trust me, I will. Have fun.

I will throw you one bone though - just because you hit Format / Cells and
it says numeric, it doesn't really mean it is, but I'll leave you to trawl
the archives and try and find out why.

--

"dsbiloxi" wrote in message
[...]

Gord Dibben

Ken

If the data sorts and filters properly using Excel 2002 and I am assuming, the
same workbook, on other machines, what then???

If not the same workbook, ignore this and let OP trawl.

Gord