Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GK GK is offline

Default Error Deleting Columns

I am trying to delete empty columns from an excel tab, it is giving me error
as "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less
data or close other applications." This tab is huge (130K rows) and contains
formulas but even if i close all application, still gives me error. Any ideas
why? I am trying to reduce the file size. Appreciate the help. Thanks.
gk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GK GK is offline

Dave, Thanks for response. First of al this is 88,249KB file. I am trying to
reduce the size of this file. That's why wanted to see if I delete the outer
columns from this file may work. It looks like delete works one tab but not
the other. I have tried with manual calc (as you have mentioned) still it is
doing the same thing (hangs and no response). Not sure with this kind of info
you can help or not...but let me know if have any magic. Thanks.

Gk wrote:

I am trying to delete empty columns from an excel tab, it is giving me error
as "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less
data or close other applications." This tab is huge (130K rows) and contains
formulas but even if i close all application, still gives me error. Any ideas
why? I am trying to reduce the file size. Appreciate the help. Thanks.
gk

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't have any magic, but...

You may want to consider recreating your workbook.
Create a new workbook with the same sheet names and copy the formulas and
formatting from each old sheet to the new sheet.

Maybe it'll help (or maybe not...)

You may want to try with a small number of sheets and save every so often so you
can check the filesize.

Gk wrote:

I am trying to delete empty columns from an excel tab, it is giving me error
as "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less
data or close other applications." This tab is huge (130K rows) and contains
formulas but even if i close all application, still gives me error. Any ideas
why? I am trying to reduce the file size. Appreciate the help. Thanks.
gk

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GK GK is offline

Thanks for your response. It was very difficult to recreate the file again
but I was able to do it without it. I have some rows are in grouped, with
ungroup those and tried again, it helped.