c_new

Default deleting columns

Hi there. I have found so much help on this site! Here's my latest issue.
I am getting that "too many different formats" error which I have corrected
allowing me to enter, sort, for the past few months. Since it has started
cropping up again I decided that if I could get rid of all the columns that
I'm not using, maybe that will get me through to the end of the year.
My spreadsheet consists of approximately 1000 rows and I go through column
"BC". I have lots of formatting within. I would like to get rid of columns
"BH-IV" since whenever I color a row in, and then sort, all of these columns
are (I'm guessing) being added into my "too many different formats" error.
Is this possible? If anyone could help that would be great!
Thanks so much!
Cara
Dave O

Here's an article from the Microsoft KnowledgeBase that describes the
problem.

The error occurs when there are too many individual occurences of
individual formats. I like your idea about deleting columns, but that
may not relieve the problem if the entire row is formatted. For
instance: if you select row 5 and paint it yellow, it stays yellow even
if you delete rows.

This idea worked for me: I inserted a new tab in my worksheet, and
copied cell A1 (altho any cell would do). Because the tab was new the
cell was not formatted. I then pasted over the areas I wanted to
become format-neutral, which resolved my problem. It may work for you
as well if you paste over the columns that you mention.

Dave O

Oops- that should say
...if you select row 5 and paint it yellow, it stays yellow even if you
delete _columns_.

c_new

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. When get back to work I'll check out that
article. I'll let you know what I find out!
Thanks again.
Cara

"Dave O" wrote:

Oops- that should say
...if you select row 5 and paint it yellow, it stays yellow even if you
delete _columns_.

c_new

Good morning! Thanks for the article. I knew about the issues with the cell
formatting; unfortunately we need 'em all! I was just hoping to stop the
worksheet at column "BG" instead of "IV". Thanks though, for taking the time
to help me out!

Cara