Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default phone number formatting for dummies

I am using Excel 2003 and I am trying to format my phone numbers to all be
like (###) ###-####, from ###-###-####.

I have followed some of the other suggestions given in the forum but nothing
gives me the () around the area code. Unfortuantley I need very detailed,
step-by-step instructions on how to include the () around the area code.

Please help!
--
lynetteb
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"("###")" ###-####

Select the cells to want to format and press Ctrl-F1
Custom
below 'Type' paste the above

Copy the above and paste into the 'Custom'

Regards,
Peter T

"lynetteb_308" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2003 and I am trying to format my phone numbers to all be
like (###) ###-####, from ###-###-####.

I have followed some of the other suggestions given in the forum but
nothing
gives me the () around the area code. Unfortuantley I need very detailed,
step-by-step instructions on how to include the () around the area code.

Please help!
--
lynetteb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ok, I was able to to Ctrl-F1 and it brought up the clipboard on the right
hand screen.
But, from there what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. There is
nothing that says custom so the rest of what you are telling me to do, means
I can't.

I really don't know what I am doing and am a little technology challenged so
you have to be very specific.

thanks!
--
lynetteb

"Peter T" wrote:

"("###")" ###-####

Select the cells to want to format and press Ctrl-F1
Custom
below 'Type' paste the above

Copy the above and paste into the 'Custom'

Regards,
Peter T

"lynetteb_308" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2003 and I am trying to format my phone numbers to all be
like (###) ###-####, from ###-###-####.

I have followed some of the other suggestions given in the forum but
nothing
gives me the () around the area code. Unfortuantley I need very detailed,
step-by-step instructions on how to include the () around the area code.

Please help!
--
lynetteb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

--Select the cells
--Right clickFormat CellsFrom 'Numer' tab list select Custom
--In the type text box enter as per Peters suggestion

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"lynetteb_308" wrote:

ok, I was able to to Ctrl-F1 and it brought up the clipboard on the right
hand screen.
But, from there what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. There is
nothing that says custom so the rest of what you are telling me to do, means
I can't.

I really don't know what I am doing and am a little technology challenged so
you have to be very specific.

thanks!
--
lynetteb

"Peter T" wrote:

"("###")" ###-####

Select the cells to want to format and press Ctrl-F1
Custom
below 'Type' paste the above

Copy the above and paste into the 'Custom'

Regards,
Peter T

"lynetteb_308" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2003 and I am trying to format my phone numbers to all be
like (###) ###-####, from ###-###-####.

I have followed some of the other suggestions given in the forum but
nothing
gives me the () around the area code. Unfortuantley I need very detailed,
step-by-step instructions on how to include the () around the area code.

Please help!
--
lynetteb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It doesn't change anything it just adds it as a custom format and then my
number stays the same as it was originally entered, with no ()'s around the
area code.
--
lynetteb

"lynetteb_308" wrote:

ok, I was able to to Ctrl-F1 and it brought up the clipboard on the right
hand screen.
But, from there what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. There is
nothing that says custom so the rest of what you are telling me to do, means
I can't.

I really don't know what I am doing and am a little technology challenged so
you have to be very specific.

thanks!
--
lynetteb

"Peter T" wrote:

"("###")" ###-####

Select the cells to want to format and press Ctrl-F1
Custom
below 'Type' paste the above

Copy the above and paste into the 'Custom'

Regards,
Peter T

"lynetteb_308" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2003 and I am trying to format my phone numbers to all be
like (###) ###-####, from ###-###-####.

I have followed some of the other suggestions given in the forum but
nothing
gives me the () around the area code. Unfortuantley I need very detailed,
step-by-step instructions on how to include the () around the area code.

Please help!
--
lynetteb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Typo in Peter's suggestion.

He meant CTRL + 1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 10:00:02 -0700, lynetteb_308
wrote:

ok, I was able to to Ctrl-F1 and it brought up the clipboard on the right
hand screen.
But, from there what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. There is
nothing that says custom so the rest of what you are telling me to do, means
I can't.

I really don't know what I am doing and am a little technology challenged so
you have to be very specific.

thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this in a new workbook

--Enter the below 10 digit number in A1
1234567890
--Select A1. Right clickFormat CellsFrom 'Number' tab list select 'Custom'
--In the 'Type:' text box enter the below string ('General' will be the
default; replace that with the below string)

"("###")" ###-####

Test and feedback...If it works Select the entrire column and format and try
entering new numbers...

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"lynetteb_308" wrote:

ok, I was able to to Ctrl-F1 and it brought up the clipboard on the right
hand screen.
But, from there what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. There is
nothing that says custom so the rest of what you are telling me to do, means
I can't.

I really don't know what I am doing and am a little technology challenged so
you have to be very specific.

thanks!
--
lynetteb

"Peter T" wrote:

"("###")" ###-####

Select the cells to want to format and press Ctrl-F1
Custom
below 'Type' paste the above

Copy the above and paste into the 'Custom'

Regards,
Peter T

"lynetteb_308" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2003 and I am trying to format my phone numbers to all be
like (###) ###-####, from ###-###-####.

I have followed some of the other suggestions given in the forum but
nothing
gives me the () around the area code. Unfortuantley I need very detailed,
step-by-step instructions on how to include the () around the area code.

Please help!
--
lynetteb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ok that works!

thank you all very much for putting up with the slow learner!
--
lynetteb

"lynetteb_308" wrote:

ok, I was able to to Ctrl-F1 and it brought up the clipboard on the right
hand screen.
But, from there what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. There is
nothing that says custom so the rest of what you are telling me to do, means
I can't.

I really don't know what I am doing and am a little technology challenged so
you have to be very specific.

thanks!
--
lynetteb

"Peter T" wrote:

"("###")" ###-####

Select the cells to want to format and press Ctrl-F1
Custom
below 'Type' paste the above

Copy the above and paste into the 'Custom'

Regards,
Peter T

"lynetteb_308" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2003 and I am trying to format my phone numbers to all be
like (###) ###-####, from ###-###-####.

I have followed some of the other suggestions given in the forum but
nothing
gives me the () around the area code. Unfortuantley I need very detailed,
step-by-step instructions on how to include the () around the area code.

Please help!
--
lynetteb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The currently entered phone numbers are text-entered so Custom format won't
work.

Remove the dashes using editreplace.

Now custom format or special format as telephone numbers

Gord

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:27:02 -0700, lynetteb_308
wrote:

It still does not give me the ( ) around the area code.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

He meant CTRL + 1

Oops!
Sorry lynetteb, and thanks Gord