Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Phone number formatting

I am having some difficulty formatting the cells for phone numbers. Here's
the issue: I have a predictive dialer and the information I am using came
with a 1 at the beginning of some of the numbers that isn't compatable with
the system. I've tried the formatting suggestions in the help section of
excel, but it really isn't giving me a way to format all the cells in that
column to remove the 1 and just have the 10 digit number. Any help would be
greatly appreciated, or just an absolute that it can't be done so I can quit
trying... Thanks so much!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let's start with the basics: give us some examples of the phone numbers as
they're currently displayed (those with the 1 and those without) and also
give examples of how you want them to appear. I've seen phone numbers dealt
with time and time again in these forums and there's almost zero doubt in my
mind that there is a solution to your problem.

"ms_kitty007" wrote:

I am having some difficulty formatting the cells for phone numbers. Here's
the issue: I have a predictive dialer and the information I am using came
with a 1 at the beginning of some of the numbers that isn't compatable with
the system. I've tried the formatting suggestions in the help section of
excel, but it really isn't giving me a way to format all the cells in that
column to remove the 1 and just have the 10 digit number. Any help would be
greatly appreciated, or just an absolute that it can't be done so I can quit
trying... Thanks so much!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is how the numbers appear: 12345678901 (1+area code+number)
I would like to take out the number "1" entirely and have it be just the
area code and the number. Spaces are irrelevant, they can be there or not.
Thank you so much for the help, any tips you can give are greatly appreciated!

"ms_kitty007" wrote:

I am having some difficulty formatting the cells for phone numbers. Here's
the issue: I have a predictive dialer and the information I am using came
with a 1 at the beginning of some of the numbers that isn't compatable with
the system. I've tried the formatting suggestions in the help section of
excel, but it really isn't giving me a way to format all the cells in that
column to remove the 1 and just have the 10 digit number. Any help would be
greatly appreciated, or just an absolute that it can't be done so I can quit
trying... Thanks so much!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One approach to this would be to use TTC (Text To Columns).
TTC returns values without the need to remove intermediate formulas.

Select the column of data and then:
<Data <Text To Columns
Click on "Fixed Width", then <Next,

Click in the Preview Window, and position the break line to separate the
first number 1 from the rest of the number, then <Next

In the Preview Window, that first column containing the 1 is selected by
default.
Click on the "Do Not Import Column" option.

Now, you have a choice as to whether or not you wish to *change the
original* data, by just eliminating the first 1, OR ... you can retain the
original data column, and create a new column of data without that first
digit.

To *change* the original data, simply click on <Finish

To create a new column, retaining the original data, change the location in
the "Destination" window from the default location of the original data, to
any vacant column you wish to populate with this revised data, THEN click
<Finish.
--
HTH,

RD

"ms_kitty007" wrote:

I am having some difficulty formatting the cells for phone numbers.

Here's
the issue: I have a predictive dialer and the information I am using

came
with a 1 at the beginning of some of the numbers that isn't compatable

with
the system. I've tried the formatting suggestions in the help section

of
excel, but it really isn't giving me a way to format all the cells in

that
column to remove the 1 and just have the 10 digit number. Any help

would be
greatly appreciated, or just an absolute that it can't be done so I

can quit
trying... Thanks so much!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Work on a copy of your data - just in case of mistakes!!!

With data in column A enter in B1
=IF(LEFT(A1)="1",MID(A1,2,LEN(A1)-1),A1))
copy down column B as far as required
To "fix" the data, copy the whole of column B then Paste SpecialValues
to turn the formulae back into numbers
You can then delete column A

--
Regards