Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Duplicate workbooks even though there is only one!

I have just opened an Excel 2003 workbook open.

However the filename looks suspicious. Instead of "Test", it is "Test:2",
i.e. a secondary version of the same file.

No-one else has it open, as it is on my own hard disk.

When I close the file (but not Excel), then go WINDOW UNHIDE, I can see
"Test:1" and "Test:2".

This is creating share conflicts, and is causing all sorts of mayhem.

It is a systemic problem, and not isolated to just this file.

Does anyone know of some bug causing this generic problem please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Saved from a previous post:

Do you see:

book1.xls:1
and
book2.xls:2

If you do then this isn't really two copies of the workbook. It's just two
views (or windows) into the same workbook.

You can select the window you don't want to see, then hit ctrl-w to close that
window.

Then save the workbook or you'll be doing it again!

Debra Dalgleish has some instructions with pictures:
http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#TwoWindows

This can be caused by using:
Window|New window
(in xl2003 menus)
(maybe followed by window|arrange)

It can be quite useful to see different ares of the same workbook (even same
worksheet) at the same time.

=================
I don't understand how this can affect sharing of the workbook or how it can be
a systemic problem.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave

Many thanks for this, but it is not the problem.

There is only one window showing. Despite this, it is called Test:2.

When go to WINDOWS UNHIDE, it shows Test:1 and Test:3.

Very bizarre, and sadly not solved by shutting the window.

thanks

Phil Davy wrote:

I have just opened an Excel 2003 workbook open.

However the filename looks suspicious. Instead of "Test", it is "Test:2",
i.e. a secondary version of the same file.

No-one else has it open, as it is on my own hard disk.

When I close the file (but not Excel), then go WINDOW UNHIDE, I can see
"Test:1" and "Test:2".

This is creating share conflicts, and is causing all sorts of mayhem.

It is a systemic problem, and not isolated to just this file.

Does anyone know of some bug causing this generic problem please?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try unhiding all the windows of that workbook.

Then Window|arrange|horizontal

And you'll see multiple windows into the single workbook.

Just because you can only see one window does not mean that there are not
others.