Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy column, paste special formulas & number formats doesn't work

In Excel 2003 I used to be able to copy a column, then use the paste special
feature to paste the formulas and number formats into a new column. Several
months ago (maybe when we did an update?) this feature suddenly stopped
working. Instead the formulas and number formats are updated to the new
column, but it also copies the values that were in the original column and
pastes them into the new column, too. I now have Excel 2007, but it does the
same thing. Does anyone know what changed? The instructions for using the
program seem to be the same.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Paste special formulas does not skip constants and empty cells in either 2003
or 2007
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200859

"Beckey" wrote:

In Excel 2003 I used to be able to copy a column, then use the paste special
feature to paste the formulas and number formats into a new column. Several
months ago (maybe when we did an update?) this feature suddenly stopped
working. Instead the formulas and number formats are updated to the new
column, but it also copies the values that were in the original column and
pastes them into the new column, too. I now have Excel 2007, but it does the
same thing. Does anyone know what changed? The instructions for using the
program seem to be the same.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy column, paste special formulas & number formats doesn't w

Ok, your explanation makes sense regarding how the program is functioning. I
still don't understand why I was able to use it in the past to copy the
column and paste without the constant values carrying forward. Really I
thought that there must have been an update to the program that caused a
change in the function.

Another question I have would be...what is the purpose for copying and
pasting formulas and number formats if the constants and blanks are included?
I don't see any difference between that and just copying and pasting the
entire column.

Thanks.

"Beckey" wrote:

In Excel 2003 I used to be able to copy a column, then use the paste special
feature to paste the formulas and number formats into a new column. Several
months ago (maybe when we did an update?) this feature suddenly stopped
working. Instead the formulas and number formats are updated to the new
column, but it also copies the values that were in the original column and
pastes them into the new column, too. I now have Excel 2007, but it does the
same thing. Does anyone know what changed? The instructions for using the
program seem to be the same.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good question!

1. paste special formulas allows you to paste contants and formulas, but not
formats
2. paste special values converts to formula to values
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200859