Tanya T.

Default .xlb extension

I received a document with an .xlb extension in which I cannot open. What is
an .xlb extension and how do I get this document open?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gord Dibben

Tanya

The .xlb extension is the file that holds menu and toolbar customizations for
Excel.

It is not a workbook file that can be opened as such.

When you open it all it does is change your menus and toolbars settings if any
modifications were done.

If your settings were changed when you tried to open the *.xlb, you will have
to reset those back to your settings.

Best way to do this is to find your *.xlb file and rename to *.old

Restart Excel and it will build you a new default *.xlb

The ask the original sender to try again with a "real" Excel file *.xls.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:18:10 -0700, "Tanya T."
wrote:

I received a document with an .xlb extension in which I cannot open. What is
an .xlb extension and how do I get this document open?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Peterson

..xlb files is where excel stores toolbars. You should be able to open it just
by doubleclicking on it (after you've saved it).

But if you were really expecting a workbook, then I wouldn't do it. Call the
sender and ask them to send the correct file.

--

Dave Peterson
zackb

Note that deleting this file is not necessarily a bad thing either. If you
accidentally give it the axe (Excel must be closed) Excel will recreate it
upon opening; you will of course be back to square 1 on your toolbars if
you've customized at all. :)

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr

wrote:

I received a document with an .xlb extension in which I cannot open. What
is
an .xlb extension and how do I get this document open?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gord Dibben

Thanks for the feedback Tanya.

Gord

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:49:07 -0700, "Tanya T."
wrote:

Thank you, Gord