Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula for Growth %

I have been asked to add a Growth % to a spreadsheet someone else created.
I'm not real familiar with any formulas to do this, can someone help me? Below
is how they want it set up:
JAN FEB MAR APR etc....
2007 7 13 10 10
2008 10 6 3 9
Variance 3 -7 -7 -1
Growth %

2009 9 8 12 12
Variance -1 2 9 3
Growth %

I have searched for this on the internet and within this
site, but it seems like growth %'s are very confusing!!!
Any help you can give is appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
you have two ways to do that

let's assume that Jan information is in column B and 2007 information in
cell B2, 2008 in cell B2 and variance in B3

1st option is

=B3/B1

2nd

=(B2/B1)-1

with either formula you get the same results, copy then the formula to your
right

to compare 2009 use the same logic

"Tasha" wrote:

I have been asked to add a Growth % to a spreadsheet someone else created.
I'm not real familiar with any formulas to do this, can someone help me? Below
is how they want it set up:
JAN FEB MAR APR etc....
2007 7 13 10 10
2008 10 6 3 9
Variance 3 -7 -7 -1
Growth %

2009 9 8 12 12
Variance -1 2 9 3
Growth %

I have searched for this on the internet and within this
site, but it seems like growth %'s are very confusing!!!
Any help you can give is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jul 10, 9:57*am, Tasha wrote:
*I have been asked to add a Growth % to a spreadsheet someone else created. *
I'm not real familiar with any formulas to do this, can someone help me? Below
is how they want it set up:
* * * * * * * * *JAN * FEB *MAR *APR *etc....
2007 * * * * * 7 * * * 13 * *10 * * 10
2008 * * * * *10 * * * *6 * * *3 * * * 9
Variance * * *3 * * * -7 * * -7 * * -1
Growth %

2009 * * * * * 9 * * * * *8 * *12 * *12
Variance * * -1 * * * * 2 * * 9 * * * 3
Growth %

I have searched for this on the internet and within this
site, but it seems like growth %'s are very confusing!!!
Any help you can give is appreciated!

The way I have always done the % Increase or decrease is as
follows... (New-Old)/Old or (New/old)-1. Both bring out the same
results. you should get roughly 42% for jan 07-08 increase. 42% of 7
is about 3. So your increase is 42%.

setting it up in excel, it would look like the following: use the
actual cell reference instead of the actual numbers
=(10-7)/7 or =(10/7)-1
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

well, I tried what you gave me, but am more than a little confused, let me
put my columns/rows in and can you set the formula(s) up for them? Sorry, at
the risk of sounding really dumb, I didn't get anything with the formula you
gave me. I use Excel a lot, I'm really not stupid, :) but for some reason, I
didn't get anything that looked right..... I really appreciate your help!!!

C D E F G
6 JAN FEB MAR APR etc....
7 2007 7 13 10 10
8 2008 10 6 3 9
9 Variance 3 -7 -7 -1
10 Growth %
11
12 2009 9 8 12 12
13 Variance -1 2 9 3
14 Growth %

"Tasha" wrote:

I have been asked to add a Growth % to a spreadsheet someone else created.
I'm not real familiar with any formulas to do this, can someone help me? Below
is how they want it set up:
JAN FEB MAR APR etc....
2007 7 13 10 10
2008 10 6 3 9
Variance 3 -7 -7 -1
Growth %

2009 9 8 12 12
Variance -1 2 9 3
Growth %

I have searched for this on the internet and within this
site, but it seems like growth %'s are very confusing!!!
Any help you can give is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok,
In D10 enter

=D9/D7

format D10 as percentage ( if you don't the result you'll see is 0.428)

in D14 enter

=D13/D8

Format D14 as percentage,( if you dont the result will be 0.10)

Then copy this formulas to your right

Hope now is clear

"Tasha" wrote:

I have been asked to add a Growth % to a spreadsheet someone else created.
I'm not real familiar with any formulas to do this, can someone help me? Below
is how they want it set up:
JAN FEB MAR APR etc....
2007 7 13 10 10
2008 10 6 3 9
Variance 3 -7 -7 -1
Growth %

2009 9 8 12 12
Variance -1 2 9 3
Growth %

I have searched for this on the internet and within this
site, but it seems like growth %'s are very confusing!!!
Any help you can give is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Eduardo,

I've run into a problem, when I copied over, I have the 2008 figure as 1,
the 2009 figure is 4, so the variance is 3, and the growth is showing as
300%????Shouldn't it be different than that?

"Tasha" wrote:

I have been asked to add a Growth % to a spreadsheet someone else created.
I'm not real familiar with any formulas to do this, can someone help me? Below
is how they want it set up:
JAN FEB MAR APR etc....
2007 7 13 10 10
2008 10 6 3 9
Variance 3 -7 -7 -1
Growth %

2009 9 8 12 12
Variance -1 2 9 3
Growth %

I have searched for this on the internet and within this
site, but it seems like growth %'s are very confusing!!!
Any help you can give is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Tasha" wrote:

*I have been asked to add a Growth % to a spreadsheet someone else created. *
I'm not real familiar with any formulas to do this, can someone help me? Below
is how they want it set up:
* * * * * * * * *JAN * FEB *MAR *APR *etc....
2007 * * * * * 7 * * * 13 * *10 * * 10
2008 * * * * *10 * * * *6 * * *3 * * * 9
Variance * * *3 * * * -7 * * -7 * * -1
Growth %

2009 * * * * * 9 * * * * *8 * *12 * *12
Variance * * -1 * * * * 2 * * 9 * * * 3
Growth %

I have searched for this on the internet and within this
site, but it seems like growth %'s are very confusing!!!
Any help you can give is appreciated!

If your 2008 value is 1, your 2009 value is 4 then it would
essentially be (4-1)/1 or (4/1)-1 which is the 300% increase that you
had calculated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ok, for some reason, that wasn't making sense to me. I have one more
question, if you wouldn't mind, then I'll leave you alone :) Say, if 2008
is 0 and 2009 is 4, I'm getting a #DIV/0! error. If I put in the formula
=IF(2009cell=0,0,(2009/2008)), I'm still getting the #DIV/0! error. Any
ideas?

"Tasha" wrote:

I have been asked to add a Growth % to a spreadsheet someone else created.
I'm not real familiar with any formulas to do this, can someone help me? Below
is how they want it set up:
JAN FEB MAR APR etc....
2007 7 13 10 10
2008 10 6 3 9
Variance 3 -7 -7 -1
Growth %

2009 9 8 12 12
Variance -1 2 9 3
Growth %

I have searched for this on the internet and within this
site, but it seems like growth %'s are very confusing!!!
Any help you can give is appreciated!

If your 2008 value is 1, your 2009 value is 4 then it would
essentially be (4-1)/1 or (4/1)-1 which is the 300% increase that you
had calculated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Tasha" wrote:
if 2008 is 0 and 2009 is 4, I'm getting a #DIV/0! error.
If I put in the formula =IF(2009cell=0,0,(2009/2008)),
I'm still getting the #DIV/0! error. Any ideas?

That should be =IF(2008cell=0, 0, 2009cell/2008cell)

where 2008cell is the 2008 data and 2009cell is the difference between 2009
and 2008 data (so-called "variance").

But personally, I would choose:

=IF(2008cell=0, 1, 2009cell/2008cell)

Although there is no correct mathmetical answer when 2008cell is zero, I
would treat any growth as 100% growth, not 0%.

"Tasha" wrote:

I have been asked to add a Growth % to a spreadsheet
someone else created.
I'm not real familiar with any formulas to do this, can
someone help me? Below
is how they want it set up:
JAN FEB MAR APR etc....
2007 7 13 10 10
2008 10 6 3 9
Variance 3 -7 -7 -1
Growth %

2009 9 8 12 12
Variance -1 2 9 3
Growth %

I have searched for this on the internet and within this
site, but it seems like growth %'s are very confusing!!!
Any help you can give is appreciated!

If your 2008 value is 1, your 2009 value is 4 then it would
essentially be (4-1)/1 or (4/1)-1 which is the 300% increase that you
had calculated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Tasha" wrote:
if my 2008 number is 0 and my 2009 number is 2, then there is growth,
however I'm getting the #DIV/0! error....how should I handle this?

If B3 is the 2008 data (0), B7 is the 2009 data (2), and B8 is the
difference (so-called "variance"; =B7-B3), I would choose:

=IF(B3=0, 1, B8/B3)

Although there is no correct mathmetical answer when the 2008 data is zero,