Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tasha Tasha is offline

Default Formula for Growth %

Trevor, if my 2008 number is 0 and my 2009 number is 2, then there is growth,
however I'm getting the #DIV/0! error....how should I handle this?

"Trevor Greene" wrote:

On Jul 10, 9:57 am, Tasha wrote:
I have been asked to add a Growth % to a spreadsheet someone else created.
I'm not real familiar with any formulas to do this, can someone help me? Below
is how they want it set up:
JAN FEB MAR APR etc....
2007 7 13 10 10
2008 10 6 3 9
Variance 3 -7 -7 -1
Growth %

2009 9 8 12 12
Variance -1 2 9 3
Growth %

I have searched for this on the internet and within this
site, but it seems like growth %'s are very confusing!!!
Any help you can give is appreciated!

The way I have always done the % Increase or decrease is as
follows... (New-Old)/Old or (New/old)-1. Both bring out the same
results. you should get roughly 42% for jan 07-08 increase. 42% of 7
is about 3. So your increase is 42%.

setting it up in excel, it would look like the following: use the
actual cell reference instead of the actual numbers
=(10-7)/7 or =(10/7)-1