Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting in Tables

Hi,

If I try to sort selected data in a table it automatically sorts the whole
column. For example if i try to sort the salesmen in A-Z the total column
beneath it also sorts even though I have not highlighted it.

Is it because I have not left a row inbetween or should it be able to sort
selected rows only?

Many Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you really mean a Table (in xl2007)?

If you just meant a range, are you selecting the range to sort (and avoiding
that total cell)?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have for example in A1:A5 the data: a, z, g, b, c, and you select
just A1:A3 then the sort should leave the last two items untouched

However, if you have an actual Excel Table (made in Excel 2007 with the
command Insert | Table), or an Excel List in 2003, then sorting will affect
the entire table (this being one of the purposes of making a Table)

I wish MS had a better word than Table - it is ambiguous That is why I use a
capital T or speak of Excel Table.

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cazzy123" wrote in message

If I try to sort selected data in a table it automatically sorts the whole
column. For example if i try to sort the salesmen in A-Z the total column
beneath it also sorts even though I have not highlighted it.

Is it because I have not left a row inbetween or should it be able to sort
selected rows only?

Many Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, I have a table in XL2007 for example

Sales
Salesman January February March April May
Sam 528 388 484 1498 921
Pete 401 1492 1221 1076 1091
John 1107 1222 945 1056 909
James 1104 1120 403 417 566
Holly 559 797 1480 368 1041
Anne 591 551 1285 1279 1381
TOTAL 4290 5570 5818 5694 5909

If I try to sort the salesmen alphabetically it does it no problem but as
soon as I convert it to a table using Ctrl T the sort will then sort the
whole of the first column not just what I have selected.

I hope that this is clearer.

Caz

Cazzy123 wrote:

Hi,

If I try to sort selected data in a table it automatically sorts the whole
column. For example if i try to sort the salesmen in A-Z the total column
beneath it also sorts even though I have not highlighted it.

Is it because I have not left a row inbetween or should it be able to sort
selected rows only?

Many Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That is how it is supposed to be..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cazzy123" wrote:

Hi,

If I try to sort selected data in a table it automatically sorts the whole
column. For example if i try to sort the salesmen in A-Z the total column
beneath it also sorts even though I have not highlighted it.

Is it because I have not left a row inbetween or should it be able to sort
selected rows only?

Many Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So once it has been converted to a table we are not able to highlight, select
and sort certain rows? Is XL assuming that we have done all this before the
data was converted to a table then? If so, I know that Ctrl T converts it is
there a shortcut that would allow me to put it back into an editable table?

Thanks again

"Cazzy123" wrote:

Hi,

If I try to sort selected data in a table it automatically sorts the whole
column. For example if i try to sort the salesmen in A-Z the total column
beneath it also sorts even though I have not highlighted it.

Is it because I have not left a row inbetween or should it be able to sort
selected rows only?

Many Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Suggest you to go through the below two topics from the below link

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...spx#LearnAbout

"Sort one column in a range of cells without affecting the others"
"Learn more about general issues with sorting"

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria