Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting Multiple Tables

Say I've created the following tables in Excel:

Electronic Wedge
Date Received Lot # Exp. Date Date Opened Initials
1/5/2008 56489 2/7/2008 1/10/2008 WG
4/7/2008 58469 5/2/2008 4/10/2008 TS
8/6/2008 59885 9/7/2008 8/10/2008 RF

Apples
Date Received Lot # Exp. Date Date Opened Initials
1/5/2008 56489 2/7/2008 1/10/2008 WG
4/7/2008 58469 5/2/2008 4/10/2008 TS
8/6/2008 59885 9/7/2008 8/10/2008 RF

Oranges
Date Received Lot # Exp. Date Date Opened Initials
1/5/2008 56489 2/7/2008 1/10/2008 WG
4/7/2008 58469 5/2/2008 4/10/2008 TS
8/6/2008 59885 9/7/2008 8/10/2008 RF

Not pivot tables, just columns and centering and lines around the cells.
Now say I've got about 30 to 40 items now and they are not arranged in any
kind of order. Is there a way to arrange all of these tables in ascending
order by product without having to cut and paste? I am wanting to make some
tables similar to this, but I need to know what I should do so that I can
easily sort them by product name. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

the easiest way is to add two new columns. One column containing the Product
name on each of the lines for the product (include the blank Row as well).
The 2nd column containing an index number for each row of the product such as
1 to 7 (including two blank row) for each product. Then sort by the new
columns.

If you do think sm art this really doesn't take too long and if faster than
cutting and pasting. A macrto could be written to add these new columns
quickly. I can't tell from the posting which columns you are using.

"brians34" wrote:

Say I've created the following tables in Excel:

Electronic Wedge
Date Received Lot # Exp. Date Date Opened Initials
1/5/2008 56489 2/7/2008 1/10/2008 WG
4/7/2008 58469 5/2/2008 4/10/2008 TS
8/6/2008 59885 9/7/2008 8/10/2008 RF

Apples
Date Received Lot # Exp. Date Date Opened Initials
1/5/2008 56489 2/7/2008 1/10/2008 WG
4/7/2008 58469 5/2/2008 4/10/2008 TS
8/6/2008 59885 9/7/2008 8/10/2008 RF

Oranges
Date Received Lot # Exp. Date Date Opened Initials
1/5/2008 56489 2/7/2008 1/10/2008 WG
4/7/2008 58469 5/2/2008 4/10/2008 TS
8/6/2008 59885 9/7/2008 8/10/2008 RF

Not pivot tables, just columns and centering and lines around the cells.
Now say I've got about 30 to 40 items now and they are not arranged in any
kind of order. Is there a way to arrange all of these tables in ascending
order by product without having to cut and paste? I am wanting to make some
tables similar to this, but I need to know what I should do so that I can
easily sort them by product name. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using Excel 2007 and Tables.
Looks neat.
http://www.savefile.com/files/1877116