Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BW BW is offline

Default Pivot Tables - sorting numbers

When using pivot tables, we have a task number for each job and have tried
various formatting options (text, number). The taks number generally is up
to 3 digits and 1 decimal place. The pivot table sorts the single digits
(1-9)
1.0
10.0
11.0
2.0
20.0
21.0
etc.
Our solution to this was to start the task numbers at 10 and use only
minimum of 2 digits. It's been several versions of Excel since we created
our file and now revamping to meet current needs. Is there a workaround so
we can use 1-9?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your job numbers are not numbers. They are Text. You have 2 options. One is
to convert them to actual numbers prior to loading them into the pivot table.
this is different from reformatting the numbers. You actually need to convert
them to numbers. The other is to reformat the numbers to include leading
zeros.
001.0
instead of
1.0