Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default crazy format/formula

i have a series of columns.
a b c d
1 Material, allowable max, actual max, needed value, add. material
2 16-003 0.42
3 16-004 0.45 0.51 'x'
4 16-004 0.45 0.40 0 16-001
where the 'needed value' will give me a value of 'x' which will be a
property of another material, which will reduce the actual max to the
allowable max if the additional material used has that particular value.(see
row 4)
dont worry about those formulas.

i would like to know if its possible to hide the '0.45' in the allowable max
column if no additional material is needed. (see row 2)
my problem lies he
if( the min value needed0, then show the max allowable, otherwise hide it)
if material is added, the required max is hidden, and the max allowable
can't see it, so it's no longer less than the required max.... so i need
extra material... and it keeps going and going

any thoughts on how to keep the values, but not show them?
thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is not clear how the 'min value' is computed
An IF statement on the lines of =IF(min_value0, min_value, "") should do
what you want
--- that is a pair of double-quotes with nothing between them

If I have misread the Q, then maybe you should look in conditional
formatting. It is possible to hide say B2 based on the value of say D2 by
making B2's font the same colour as the cell's background

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Derrick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

lol the min value is a complicated formula...
=IF(OR(AE7=AD7,AG7=AF7,AI7=AH7),MAX(IF(AND(AE7 =AD7,AD7*AE7<0),((5*AB7*U7^4/(384*10000000*AD7))-(G7+M7))/2.9,0),IF(AND(AG7=AF7,AG7*AF7<0),((AG7*G7/AF7)+G7)/2.9,0),IF(AND(AI7=AH7,AH7*AI7<0),((AI7*M7/AH7)+M7)/2.9,0)),0)
if u wanna know hahah

also, the cell contents i want to hide are the max allowable - which are
related to everything else.

but i think i can go with the conditional formats.. and the same
background.. that probably will work.. except for if i want to do the 'every
other row is light green so i can see where im looking' thing

thanks for helpin

"Derrick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

im afraid its a bit too complicated for that.
so cell Max_Allowable must be 'hidden' when Min_Needed = 0,
Visible when Min_Needed < 0

the problem now is that if i want to conditionally format the Max_Allowable
column, o can only compare values with "Max_Allowable", not the "Min_needed"
i'd like to compare it with

otherwise, ur background colour is what i need
thanks,