Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Chart Number Decimal Places

Is there a way to highlight the axis on a chart, then use the
increase/decrease decimal buttons like I use to be able to in Excel 2003 and
earlier? The buttons don't seem to work in Excel 2007. The only way I've
been able to change it is a multi-click and type routine, which is sloow.
Thanks.

John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No. And this seems to be a bug since (a) the tools are not greyed out, and
(b) one can do lots of chart font formatting with tools on the Ribbon
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"John" wrote in message
Is there a way to highlight the axis on a chart, then use the
increase/decrease decimal buttons like I use to be able to in Excel 2003
and
earlier? The buttons don't seem to work in Excel 2007. The only way I've
been able to change it is a multi-click and type routine, which is sloow.
Thanks.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

This feature needs some work! But in the meantime there are two ideas that
can help:
1. The Format xxxx dialog box is modal - that means you can leave it open
and still work in the spreadsheet or on the chart. This is ok if you have a
large monitor
2. You can turn on the Linked to source option and then use the increase
and decrease decimal buttons on the spreadsheet range and the chart axis will
adjust. This option is found under Format Axis, Number tab, Linked to source.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"John" wrote:

Is there a way to highlight the axis on a chart, then use the
increase/decrease decimal buttons like I use to be able to in Excel 2003 and
earlier? The buttons don't seem to work in Excel 2007. The only way I've
been able to change it is a multi-click and type routine, which is sloow.
Thanks.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bernard & Shane,

Thanks for the help, folks. The idea of linking to the source is on, but
it's also what's causing me the trouble. My spreadsheet entrees contain
lotttts of decimal places, since I'm looking at numbers that differ only very
slightly from one another; I don't need to see this precision in the charts
for most views, but some I do, hence the desire to bounce them up or down
using the buttons.

Thanks again for your help.

John

"John" wrote:

Is there a way to highlight the axis on a chart, then use the
increase/decrease decimal buttons like I use to be able to in Excel 2003 and
earlier? The buttons don't seem to work in Excel 2007. The only way I've
been able to change it is a multi-click and type routine, which is sloow.
Thanks.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your charts are on worksheets, then add a spin button to do the same
thing. You could have one spin button per chart, or name your charts and
have a drop-down that lets you select the chart you want to operate on.

(I did this with Excel 2003)

'
' Make sure the SpinButton limits are set
' to reasonable minimum (0) and maximum values!
'
Private Sub SpinButton1_Change()
Dim i As Integer
Dim nDec As Integer
Dim decStr As String
'
nDec = Me.SpinButton1.Value
If (nDec < 0) Then nDec = 0
decStr = "0."
For i = 1 To nDec
decStr = decStr & "0"
Next i
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Select
ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).TickLabels.NumberFormat = decStr

..-------------------:
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet,
what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?
Steven Wright (1955 - )

"John" wrote:

Is there a way to highlight the axis on a chart, then use the
increase/decrease decimal buttons like I use to be able to in Excel 2003 and
earlier? The buttons don't seem to work in Excel 2007. The only way I've
been able to change it is a multi-click and type routine, which is sloow.
Thanks.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I also added a command button which gathers the names of all charts on the
sheet and creates a named range with them. Then I added data validation in
one cell that is based on that list. Finally, I modified the spin button
code to reference whichever chart is selected in the cell with the data
validation. It works pretty well!

One thing I forgot to do - when you select a new chart in the data
validation cell, it should set the current value of the spinbutton to the
decimal format for that chart.

'
' This button routine gathers the names of all chartobjects on a worksheet
' and puts them in a named range list on the sheet, which feeds a data
' validation cell on the sheet.
'
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim i As Integer
Dim cO As ChartObject
Dim tStr As String
'
i = 0
For Each cO In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects
i = i + 1
ActiveSheet.Cells(i + 1, 9) = cO.Name
Next
ActiveSheet.Range("I2:I" & i).Select
ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="MyCharts" & ActiveSheet.Name,
RefersToR1C1:= _
"='" & ActiveSheet.Name & "'!R2C9:R" & i + 1 & "C9"
End Sub

'
' Make sure the SpinButton limits are set
' to reasonable minimum (0) and maximum values!
'
Private Sub SpinButton1_Change()
Dim i As Integer
Dim nDec As Integer
Dim decStr As String
'
nDec = Me.SpinButton1.Value
If (nDec < 0) Then nDec = 0
decStr = "0."
For i = 1 To nDec
decStr = decStr & "0"
Next i
'
' Note the use of the cell with the data validation as a way to select
' which chart to change the decimals on
'
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(ActiveSheet.Cells(9, 6).Text).Select
ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).TickLabels.NumberFormat = decStr

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

....which is easily accomplished by adding this code to the worksheet:

'
' If the data validation cell changed, reset the
' spinbutton value to the number of decimal places
' in the selected chart.
'
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("F9")) Is Nothing Then
On Error Resume Next
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(ActiveSheet.Cells(9, 6).Text).Select
decStr = ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).TickLabels.NumberFormat
Me.SpinButton1.Value = Len(decStr) - 2 ' ignore the "0." part
On Error GoTo 0