Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EricG EricG is offline

Default Chart Number Decimal Places

If your charts are on worksheets, then add a spin button to do the same
thing. You could have one spin button per chart, or name your charts and
have a drop-down that lets you select the chart you want to operate on.

(I did this with Excel 2003)

'
' Make sure the SpinButton limits are set
' to reasonable minimum (0) and maximum values!
'
Private Sub SpinButton1_Change()
Dim i As Integer
Dim nDec As Integer
Dim decStr As String
'
nDec = Me.SpinButton1.Value
If (nDec < 0) Then nDec = 0
decStr = "0."
For i = 1 To nDec
decStr = decStr & "0"
Next i
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Select
ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).TickLabels.NumberFormat = decStr

..-------------------:
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet,
what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?
Steven Wright (1955 - )

"John" wrote:

Bernard & Shane,

Thanks for the help, folks. The idea of linking to the source is on, but
it's also what's causing me the trouble. My spreadsheet entrees contain
lotttts of decimal places, since I'm looking at numbers that differ only very
slightly from one another; I don't need to see this precision in the charts
for most views, but some I do, hence the desire to bounce them up or down
using the buttons.

Thanks again for your help.

John

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

Hi,

This feature needs some work! But in the meantime there are two ideas that
can help:
1. The Format xxxx dialog box is modal - that means you can leave it open
and still work in the spreadsheet or on the chart. This is ok if you have a
large monitor
2. You can turn on the Linked to source option and then use the increase
and decrease decimal buttons on the spreadsheet range and the chart axis will
adjust. This option is found under Format Axis, Number tab, Linked to source.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"John" wrote:

Is there a way to highlight the axis on a chart, then use the
increase/decrease decimal buttons like I use to be able to in Excel 2003 and
earlier? The buttons don't seem to work in Excel 2007. The only way I've
been able to change it is a multi-click and type routine, which is sloow.
Thanks.

John