Sir Knight

Default Microsoft Excel

I have microsoft worksuite 2004 for XP and task(which has a limited excel
like program) however I would like to have the full capabilities of excel. Do
I need to purchase the entire Excel program or is their a download that would
upgrade my system to similar capabilities?
Dave Peterson

You have to purchase excel, but you may want to purchase the MS Office Suite of
programs. It might be more cost effective for you than just buying excel
program itself.

In fact, if you check your big box store (BestBuy) or even your local computer
store, you may find that the Student/Teacher version of office is on sale.

You do have to qualify for that version:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/in...4-e4e4cccd1174

(one line in your browser)

--

Dave Peterson
Harlan Grove

Dave Peterson wrote...
You have to purchase excel, but you may want to purchase the MS Office

Suite of
programs. It might be more cost effective for you than just buying

excel
program itself.

In fact, if you check your big box store (BestBuy) or even your local

computer
store, you may find that the Student/Teacher version of office is on

sale.

Well, to legally qualify to purchase the Student/Teacher version the OP
needs to have a student or teacher in his household. I suppose the
stores don't check.

If the question truly is bang/$, OpenOffice does about as much as MSFT
Office, and it's a free (though HUGE) download.

That said, the word processor in Works is much closer to Word than the
spreadsheet is to Excel, so the OP probably would gain nothing or very
little in wp terms. I have no idea about the other components, but if
it's only the spreadsheet the OP needs, it *IS* cheaper to buy Excel a
la carte rather than bundled into Office.

Dave Peterson

And just add, the OP may find a version of excel on eBay.com that's pretty
cheap, too.

Lots of people recommend that xl2k or higher is the minimum version of excel
that they would use.

It looks to me like Works Suite 2005 is one version behind Office2003.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/wo...WorksSuite2005
(one line in your browser)

But word2002 in works is the same as word2002 in OfficeXP.

Harlan Grove wrote:

Dave Peterson wrote...
[...]

Harlan Grove

Dave Peterson wrote...
Lots of people recommend that xl2k or higher is the minimum version of

excel
that they would use.

Having used XL8/97 for 8 years, XL9/2K for 3 and XL10/2002 and
XL11/2003 for a few months, I have to say that XL8/97 does almost
everything the later versions do except for pivot tables, OLAP, file
import and VBA6. That said, I find XL8/97's old WinHelp help system
MUCH BETTER than the 'help' systems in the more recent versions. So
much so that I've kept the XL8/97 .HLP files and use them rather than
the slow & klunky .CHM files from the newer versions.