Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Use worksheet name in one cell as part of reference in other cells

I want to specify a worksheet name in one cell then use that name as part of
the reference address in a number of other cells.

Or, to put it another way, I want a number of cells to refer to various
cells in another worksheet, where I specify the name of that worksheet by
typing it into a single cell.

Is this possible in Excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, using INDIRECT function..

e.g.

=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!B1)

This will extract the value in B1 on the sheet shown by name in cell
A1.

--
NBVC

Where there is a will there are many ways.
'The Code Cage' (http;//www.thecodecage.com)
NBVC's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=74
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=111155

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use INDIRECT()

A1 = Sheet1
B1 = "Test"
In C1
=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!B1)
will refer Sheet1!B1

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Steamer" wrote:

I want to specify a worksheet name in one cell then use that name as part of
the reference address in a number of other cells.

Or, to put it another way, I want a number of cells to refer to various
cells in another worksheet, where I specify the name of that worksheet by
typing it into a single cell.

Is this possible in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What are the odds that of the 2 replies so far both use the *exact* same
*incorrect* formula!

Try this:

A1 = some sheet name like Sheet2

To refer to cell A1 on Sheet2:

=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!A1")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Steamer" wrote in message
I want to specify a worksheet name in one cell then use that name as part
of
the reference address in a number of other cells.

Or, to put it another way, I want a number of cells to refer to various
cells in another worksheet, where I specify the name of that worksheet by
typing it into a single cell.

Is this possible in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Steamer" wrote in message
I want to specify a worksheet name in one cell then use that name as

part
of
the reference address in a number of other cells.

Or, to put it another way, I want a number of cells to refer to

various
cells in another worksheet, where I specify the name of that

worksheet by
typing it into a single cell.

Is this possible in Excel?

Yes, thanks for pointing that out Biff... I did forget the last closing
double-quote...

--
NBVC

Where there is a will there are many ways.
'The Code Cage' (http;//www.thecodecage.com)
NBVC's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=74
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=111155

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Use worksheet name in one cell as part of reference in other c

Oops; missed out the quotes

=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!B1")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------