Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old June 29th 09, 09:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 6
Default Change from columns to rows and back

I have a vertical list that I want to make horizontal instead. Is there an
easy way to do this other than marking, dragging and dropping each post on a
separate column? How do I reverse the process if I instead have a long row
that I want to make into one column?

  #2   Report Post  
Old June 29th 09, 10:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,521
Default Change from columns to rows and back

Try

Copy the listSelect a blank cellRight clickPasteSpecialSelect TransposeOK

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria


"SwEdIsH_OfFiCe_UsEr" wrote:

I have a vertical list that I want to make horizontal instead. Is there an
easy way to do this other than marking, dragging and dropping each post on a
separate column? How do I reverse the process if I instead have a long row
that I want to make into one column?

  #3   Report Post  
Old June 29th 09, 10:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 6
Default Change from columns to rows and back

It helps if I have a list with only one column, but what do I do if I have
two columns that I want to be put next to each other, like this:

1 a
2 b
3 c
4 d

--

1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d

Is that possible?

And can I somehow merge two (or more) lists like this without doing it
manually?

1 a 2 a
1 b 2 b
1 c 2 c

--

1 a
1 b
1 c
2 a
2 b
2 c



"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Try

Copy the listSelect a blank cellRight clickPasteSpecialSelect TransposeOK

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria


"SwEdIsH_OfFiCe_UsEr" wrote:

I have a vertical list that I want to make horizontal instead. Is there an
easy way to do this other than marking, dragging and dropping each post on a
separate column? How do I reverse the process if I instead have a long row
that I want to make into one column?

  #4   Report Post  
Old June 29th 09, 11:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,521
Default Change from columns to rows and back

You will need to use formulas OR will have to write custom macros to do this..

Suppose you have a list (ColA and ColB); the range is A1:B10; try the below
formula in say(cell C1 and copy that to right as required...)

=INDEX($A$1:$B$10,INT((COLUMN(A1)+1)/2),MOD(COLUMN(B1),2)+1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria


"SwEdIsH_OfFiCe_UsEr" wrote:

It helps if I have a list with only one column, but what do I do if I have
two columns that I want to be put next to each other, like this:

1 a
2 b
3 c
4 d

--

1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d

Is that possible?

And can I somehow merge two (or more) lists like this without doing it
manually?

1 a 2 a
1 b 2 b
1 c 2 c

--

1 a
1 b
1 c
2 a
2 b
2 c



"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Try

Copy the listSelect a blank cellRight clickPasteSpecialSelect TransposeOK

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria


"SwEdIsH_OfFiCe_UsEr" wrote:

I have a vertical list that I want to make horizontal instead. Is there an
easy way to do this other than marking, dragging and dropping each post on a
separate column? How do I reverse the process if I instead have a long row
that I want to make into one column?



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I change the Excel columns back to letters? HeyJude Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 May 24th 07 07:27 PM
Columns are numbers, rows letters. How do I change back? ernesto Setting up and Configuration of Excel 1 May 10th 06 05:08 PM
Columns are numbers, rows letters. How do I change back? ernesto Setting up and Configuration of Excel 0 May 10th 06 01:57 PM
Columns are now numeric, not alpha. how to change back? samriepe Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 June 9th 05 03:17 PM
how do i change column labels back to letters? currently columns. slthompson Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 January 6th 05 07:25 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017