Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default creating a pick list from more than one column

Hi All
I hope I can get some help with this, if it is even possible.

I want to set up a pick list. The data validation allow list function
appears to be the closest to what I want. I understand how to use this and if
a solution isnt readily apparent I will be satisfied with my current
situation.

Problem 1: What I would like to do is have two lists in column. The first
list would have letter/number combinations. The second column would have a
description. I would like to select the letter/number combination and have
the description automatically fill. Is that even possible? Is there another
function or method that could do this?

Problem 2: If the above is possible, could a third column be added between
the two for a quantity input field?

For problem 1, I have considered merging the two fields but would prefer, if
possible, to use a list that triggers the two. I have also considered two
separate lists but the chance of error is very real.

Thanks for any input or suggestions. My level of expertise is competent
user. I am not a programmer.

Joe
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use a VLLOKUP formula in the second column. That way, you pick the
number from the list, and the description gets filled by the VLOOKUP.
Say you have your list, consisting of the number in the first column, and
the description in the second one. Let's say you called this nList.
In B1, if your DV is in A1, enter =IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,dList,2,0))
You can of course insert a quantity column anywhere you wish.
--
HTH

Kassie

Replace xxx with hotmail