Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default creating a pick list from more than one column

http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"subroc" wrote in message

Hi All
I hope I can get some help with this, if it is even possible.

I want to set up a pick list. The data validation €śallow list€ť function
appears to be the closest to what I want. I understand how to use this and
if
a solution isnt readily apparent I will be satisfied with my current
situation.

Problem 1: What I would like to do is have two lists in column. The first
list would have letter/number combinations. The second column would have a
description. I would like to select the letter/number combination and have
the description automatically fill. Is that even possible? Is there
another
function or method that could do this?

Problem 2: If the above is possible, could a third column be added between
the two for a quantity input field?

For problem 1, I have considered merging the two fields but would prefer,
if
possible, to use a list that triggers the two. I have also considered two
separate lists but the chance of error is very real.

Thanks for any input or suggestions. My level of expertise is competent
user. I am not a programmer.

Joe