Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Look up list of values based on single value from pick list

I'm trying to use a validated pick list of nine values to populate another
list.

In other words, I want the user to be able to select from a list of programs
(which could be a validated list) and, based on the program selected,
automatically populate a list of a varied number of processes associated with
that program. When the user selects a different program, the list of
processes changes.

Is this feasible? TIA...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Toppers; I spent a lot of time the other day looking through the
Contextures site and there's so much information there that I may have missed
what I'm looking for. (Cool site, by the way.)

If I'm interpreting the example the you point me to correctly, I can come up
with dependent pick lists. What I'm trying to do, though, is not allow the
user to selectively pull in items from the second list, but instead to drop
all the items on that second list into the spreadsheet based on the initial
selection.

In other words, if the user selects "1" from the first list, I want the
spreadsheet to reflect "A1", "A2", "A3"; if the user selects "2" from the
first list, I want "B1", "B2", "B3", "B4", "B5" to appear in the sheet. I
don't want the user to have the option of selecting "A3" but not "A1" and
"A2" if "1" is selected, or of omitting "B3" if "2" is selected.

Does this make sense? If so, does it sound feasible?

TIA,

"Toppers" wrote:

take a look he

"Donal P" wrote:

I'm trying to use a validated pick list of nine values to populate another
list.

In other words, I want the user to be able to select from a list of programs
(which could be a validated list) and, based on the program selected,
automatically populate a list of a varied number of processes associated with
that program. When the user selects a different program, the list of
processes changes.

Is this feasible? TIA...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For that you can use VLookup formulas. There's a sample here, that fills
in parts of an order form based on user selections from dropdown lists:

http://www.contextures.com/xlOrderForm01.html

Donal P wrote:
[...]

"Toppers" wrote:

take a look he