Mile129

Default too many different cell formats

This question has been aske before and no one seems to answer it. Either no
one knows or I guess it's not possible. Either way someone please respond.
I get this error message when trying to open a workbook, Is there any way to
open the workbook???

I have done so much reading about how to reduce the formats within the
workbook to get rid of this error message, but no where is it written on how
to open a workbook with this problem. Is there a way, please respond soon.
Thanks.
Duke Carey

It may be that the lack of response indicates that nobody knows how to open
it. I sure don't.

You may want to try OpenOffice.org for a freeware package that competes with
MS Office. You never know, maybe that spreadsheet could open it and allow
you to delete some of the formats. Quattro Pro would be another avenue to
explore

"Mile129" wrote:

This question has been aske before and no one seems to answer it. Either no
one knows or I guess it's not possible. Either way someone please respond.
I get this error message when trying to open a workbook, Is there any way to
open the workbook???

I have done so much reading about how to reduce the formats within the
workbook to get rid of this error message, but no where is it written on how
to open a workbook with this problem. Is there a way, please respond soon.
Thanks.

Mile129

thanks guys, I was hoping I didn't have to install anything and there would
be a work around, but I guess there is no other way of getting in. I guess I
will have to go the route of restoring prior days file. This is the only
info I got of the net, Microsoft really should address this issue, especially
when you have reached the max and not allow you to save the file if you have.
This way you know you will not encouter this problem when trying to reopen
the file.

"Mile129" wrote:

This question has been aske before and no one seems to answer it. Either no
one knows or I guess it's not possible. Either way someone please respond.
I get this error message when trying to open a workbook, Is there any way to
open the workbook???

I have done so much reading about how to reduce the formats within the
workbook to get rid of this error message, but no where is it written on how
to open a workbook with this problem. Is there a way, please respond soon.
Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Andrew

I have seen many requests for additional information on how to open the files
AFTER you get the error message "Too many different cell formats".

I had a user with the same problem and here is how I got the file to open
AND what I did to resolve the issue.

1. Download Open Office and install it.
2. Make a copy of your file.
3. Working with the copy - open it using Open Office. It may take a few
minutes to actually get the file open. Wait for it to finish.
4. Make changes to remove formatting on individual cells. - My user had
formatted individual cells with thick walls to make it more "visually
appealing". I selected entire sheets and rendered them with regular cell
walls. This did NOT alter the information that was being presented, just the
appearance. What it did do was make a single format type for ALL of the cells
on that page.
5. Save the file using a different name. Open Office will ask if you want to
save it in Open Office format €“ tell it NO. This way it will still be in
Excel format and you should be able to open the new file using MS Excel to
continue your work.

I hope this helps!

Andrew Weaver

"Mile129" wrote:

This question has been aske before and no one seems to answer it. Either no
one knows or I guess it's not possible. Either way someone please respond.
I get this error message when trying to open a workbook, Is there any way to
open the workbook???

I have done so much reading about how to reduce the formats within the
workbook to get rid of this error message, but no where is it written on how
to open a workbook with this problem. Is there a way, please respond soon.
Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Peter Quarrell

Open Office obviously doesn't use the same scheme as Microsoft for storing
format information. (I presume the MS approach allows faster refreshment of
the display when it changes because an arrow or Page key has been hit). This
seems very useful advice. If Andrew agrees, I'd like to add his advice to my
web page www.quarrell.demon.co.uk/QAid/

That's a commercial web site, but you don't have to buy _anything_ to get
helpful advice when you have just hit the 4000 limit and discovered that the
workbook is unusable. It includes the only workable idea I have found on how
to avoid getting the message repeated if you try to alter anything.

Andrew -- please look at the site and email me.