Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to sort data in Excel 2000

Hi,

I'm using excel 2000 and was wondering how I can sort the data in a pivot
table?
On the ROW side I have many different (and some identical) strings of words.
In the DATA field I have put both the word strings to get the count of them
as well as the value of each string of words.

I would like to sort the strings of words after; firstly the total count of
word strings and secondly after the total value of the word string.

Bare in mind that it is Excel 2000 that I'm using so it doesn't work to use
Data~sort to get it to work.... What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much for the help with this!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your message is a little less than clear
Are you actually using a Pivot Table?
Why do you think Data | Sort does not work in XL2000?
What do your mean by "total value of the word string" ?
Maybe an example of 5-10 rows of data would help
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maria" wrote in message

I'm using excel 2000 and was wondering how I can sort the data in a pivot
table?
On the ROW side I have many different (and some identical) strings of
words.
In the DATA field I have put both the word strings to get the count of
them
as well as the value of each string of words.

I would like to sort the strings of words after; firstly the total count
of
word strings and secondly after the total value of the word string.

Bare in mind that it is Excel 2000 that I'm using so it doesn't work to
use
Data~sort to get it to work.... What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much for the help with this!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, sorry I am not explaining this very well...

I have something like this:

Search String Value
Hello $114.95
help $17.90
thank you $27.90
thank you $87.90
thank you $87.90

I have made this into a pivot tabel by putting the search strings in ROW and
search string as well as value in DATA. This lookes somehing like:

Search String Data Total
Hello Count of Search String 1
Sum of Order Value 114.95
Help Count of Search String 1
Sum of Order Value 17.90
Thank you Count of Search String 3
Sum of Order Value 203.70

I want to sort this pivot table after the search string that is the most
common and therefore has the highest count of search string. And if there are
search strings that are equally as common then they should sort after value.

If I use Data~sort it will not sort after two different things.

Thanks!

"Maria" wrote in message

I'm using excel 2000 and was wondering how I can sort the data in a pivot
table?
On the ROW side I have many different (and some identical) strings of
words.
In the DATA field I have put both the word strings to get the count of
them
as well as the value of each string of words.

I would like to sort the strings of words after; firstly the total count
of
word strings and secondly after the total value of the word string.

Bare in mind that it is Excel 2000 that I'm using so it doesn't work to
use
Data~sort to get it to work.... What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much for the help with this!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see the problem.
We need to get he count and the sum values side by side for each phase
and I cannot see a pivot table way to do this
This is what I would do for a quick (non pivot table) solution
Let's assume there are many sting phases not just 3
Use Data | Filter | Unique to display a list of unique phases
Copy and paste these in a free part of the worksheet (or on another sheet)
In the new area use COUNTIF and SUMIF to get this data
Let's say you now have
Search String Count Total
Hello 1 114.95
help 1 17.90
thank you 3 203.70
Now sort this table using Count as the first key and Total as the second
best wishes
--

"Maria" wrote in message

I'm using excel 2000 and was wondering how I can sort the data in a
pivot
table?
On the ROW side I have many different (and some identical) strings of
words.
In the DATA field I have put both the word strings to get the count of
them
as well as the value of each string of words.

I would like to sort the strings of words after; firstly the total
count
of
word strings and secondly after the total value of the word string.

Bare in mind that it is Excel 2000 that I'm using so it doesn't work to
use
Data~sort to get it to work.... What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much for the help with this!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

We need to get the count and the sum values side by side for each phase
and I cannot see a pivot table way to do this

There is. In the pivot, you just need to drag "Data" and drop it over
"Total", and it'll transform exactly to that side-by-side columns format.
However, I think the pivot's sort feature (in xl2003 at least) doesn't allow
the sort-by, then-by, then by stuff which the OP wants to do, within the
pivot itself. That kind of sorting has to be done on a frozen copy of the
pivot.
--
Max
Singapore