Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Simplest way to auto update a spreadsheet with web info?

I would like to update a table similar to a stock price table but that has
other info involved, so we can plot prices versus different variables.

I have looked at Excel Web Queries, but not sure if this is the way to go,
or if even Excel is the way to go.

First, I would like to create a table(s) and each day automatically just add
a row to the top of the table with the information we need, and move the
existing data down a row.

If we get this accomplished, is there a way to set it up so that it can pull
different data from different sites to populate different cells? For example:
In Excel, have it put the date in cell A4, stock price from Yahoo in cell B4,
usage from another website in cell C4, etc?

Do we have to open or run something everyday to update the tables or is
there a way to automate the data gathering?

After reading all this, is this too much for Excel or do we need something
more? Preferably Microsoft, since we have free use of Microsoft software.

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Just trying to keep The Man happy...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See in-line rsponses..............

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:18:13 -0700, Kryptonite
wrote:

I would like to update a table similar to a stock price table but that has
other info involved, so we can plot prices versus different variables.

I have looked at Excel Web Queries, but not sure if this is the way to go,
or if even Excel is the way to go.

Excel can handle this well.

First, I would like to create a table(s) and each day automatically just add
a row to the top of the table with the information we need, and move the
existing data down a row.

Easy enough with your customized table layout and some VBA

If we get this accomplished, is there a way to set it up so that it can pull
different data from different sites to populate different cells? For example:
In Excel, have it put the date in cell A4, stock price from Yahoo in cell B4,
usage from another website in cell C4, etc?

Yes, this can be done, again with VBA

Do we have to open or run something everyday to update the tables or is
there a way to automate the data gathering?

Code could be run when the workbook is first opened each day or even using
Windows Task Scheduler to start Excel and load your workbook......the code
runs and workbook is updated and saved/closed or your choice.

After reading all this, is this too much for Excel or do we need something
more? Preferably Microsoft, since we have free use of Microsoft software.

Thanks for your help!

I believe there are several of the regular responders already doing this
type of work.

I'm sure an example workbook could be made available to you for perusal.

I personally have nothing like that but hang in for other replies.

Sincerely,

Just trying to keep The Man happy..

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is the sort of thing I do all the time for clients using external
queries to yahoo or other sites. I can send you a free example file if you
request OFF line. I will not respond to requests here. Excel can be taught
to do many things. One of the files is a history file where you can input
the dates desired and get the adjusted closing prices for all days in the
range, graph individual stocks or the whole portfolio.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Kryptonite" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don

I was going to mention your name in my reply to OP but not sure if you would
be interested or have time at present.

Gord