Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default unable to open workbook

Howdy, I am trying to open up a excel spreadsheet but when I do Excel opens
and there is nothing there. No workbook, just excel opening with a grey
screen. He was working on the file, quit out of it and this happened when he
tried to access it again.

Have restarted comp but that was pretty much all I knew to do :P
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried first opening Excel and then opening the file from Excel? I
ask because it sounds like you're trying to open the file using a shortcut to
it or by double-clicking the file's name in the file browser.

You might also try going to Tools -- Options and then either checking or
clearing the "Ignore other applications" on the [General] tab in the options
dialog.

"kags" wrote:

Howdy, I am trying to open up a excel spreadsheet but when I do Excel opens
and there is nothing there. No workbook, just excel opening with a grey
screen. He was working on the file, quit out of it and this happened when he
tried to access it again.

Have restarted comp but that was pretty much all I knew to do :P

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Also see Bernard Liengme's response to a very similar question here - has
same suggestion (clear the "Ignore..." box) plus adds instructions for
resetting the Excel registry entries:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...3-d44cb10e025c

"kags" wrote:

Howdy, I am trying to open up a excel spreadsheet but when I do Excel opens
and there is nothing there. No workbook, just excel opening with a grey
screen. He was working on the file, quit out of it and this happened when he
tried to access it again.

Have restarted comp but that was pretty much all I knew to do :P

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi JL,

Did you paste the correct link in? Seems like it just takes you back to the
question?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"kags" wrote:

Howdy, I am trying to open up a excel spreadsheet but when I do Excel opens
and there is nothing there. No workbook, just excel opening with a grey
screen. He was working on the file, quit out of it and this happened when he
tried to access it again.

Have restarted comp but that was pretty much all I knew to do :P

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Trying again - another problem he takes so long to show up, no easy way to
double check/edit such things.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...7-45ce4b00f8f6

It is a post just about 15 posts below this one in this forum - titled
"Can't open worksheet (XLS) unless excel is open...