CVS

Default Unable to open saved workbook

Apparently Excel lets you save workbooks that can't be opened. After saving
my work and copying the 6.5meg file to another network location, I found
that Excel crashed when attempting to re-open the file (Excel has generated
errors and needs to close...). This happened on several computers. Finally,
another machine was able to open the file (on its second attempt). I
re-saved the file under another name and it ended up 1meg larger in size.
The workbook has about 10 sheets with lots of charts... Any ideas?
Everyone said, "Don't you have a backup?!" Of course the backups won't open
either.

Peter

Not sure if this will help..

But I had a similar problem a few months ago, and it turned out to be
settings for Excel that were doing it.

Open Tools/Options and have a look at the settings on each machine.

Regards
Peter

"CVS" wrote:

Apparently Excel lets you save workbooks that can't be opened. After saving
my work and copying the 6.5meg file to another network location, I found
that Excel crashed when attempting to re-open the file (Excel has generated
errors and needs to close...). This happened on several computers. Finally,
another machine was able to open the file (on its second attempt). I
re-saved the file under another name and it ended up 1meg larger in size.
The workbook has about 10 sheets with lots of charts... Any ideas?
Everyone said, "Don't you have a backup?!" Of course the backups won't open
either.

Ken Wright

Workbook sounds like it is corrupt - It happens, hence the need for backups.
Not good that the backups don't open though. You don't mention what version
of Excel but i'm guessing 97 or 2000. Even managing to get it open and then
saving as another name isn't really going to help you there, because if the
file has problems you either need to fix them if possible or recreate the
workbook. All you are likely to have done is take the problems with you.

2002/3 each have options that may allow you to recover and repair the
workbook. Do you have access to these versions anywhere? If not, and you
want to zip the file and sent it to me I can have a go at doing that for
you. Would need to take the NOSPAM out of my email address.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"CVS" wrote:

Apparently Excel lets you save workbooks that can't be opened. After

saving
my work and copying the 6.5meg file to another network location, I found
that Excel crashed when attempting to re-open the file (Excel has

generated
errors and needs to close...). This happened on several computers.

Finally,
another machine was able to open the file (on its second attempt). I
re-saved the file under another name and it ended up 1meg larger in

size.
The workbook has about 10 sheets with lots of charts... Any ideas?
Everyone said, "Don't you have a backup?!" Of course the backups won't

open
either.

Charles V. Stancampiano

Thanks for your offer. I have Office XP at home. Should that work?
Charlie