Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how to write formulas

I am new to computing and would like to know if someone can help me write a
formula in excel for a worksheet. I have quite a significant amount of rows
of 6 columns each.
I want to be able to highlight the rows that have 3 or 4 specific numbers
that I ask for, can this be done?
--
John Roberts
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Assume your source table is in cols A to F, data from row2 down
Assume your criteria is to check each source data row
for any of 3 specific numbers, say: 3 or 5 or 8

Create/Use an adjacent helper col, say col G to flag it
In G2: =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH({3;5;8},A2:F2,0)))0
Copy G2 down to the last row of source data. Col G will return TRUE for rows
satisfying the criteria. You could then apply autofilter on col G, choose:
TRUE to isolate these rows for whatever ensuing action. Or, if you just want
to color/highlight these rows for quick visuals, you could select the entire
sheet, then apply CF using Formula Is: =$G1, and format to taste.
--
Max
Singapore
"John Roberts" wrote:
I am new to computing and would like to know if someone can help me write a
formula in excel for a worksheet. I have quite a significant amount of rows
of 6 columns each.
I want to be able to highlight the rows that have 3 or 4 specific numbers
that I ask for, can this be done?
--
John Roberts

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Roberts View Post
I am new to computing and would like to know if someone can help me write a
formula in excel for a worksheet. I have quite a significant amount of rows
of 6 columns each.
I want to be able to highlight the rows that have 3 or 4 specific numbers
that I ask for, can this be done?
--
John Roberts
The easiest way to accomplish this is using conditional formatting. It is fairly simple the help section will show you how.