Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Spreadsheet Question

I received a spreadsheet from a customer and all of the information in the
spreadsheet has a ' in front of all the numbers entered. You can not see the
' until you attempt to edit the cell.

What did the customer do that those are showing up and how do I get rid of
them without editing each cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Erika,
Maybe the information sent by the customes has been downloaded from other
program
to ride off that press
CTRL H
find what: enter '
replace with don't enter anything and click replace

sometimes there are spaces betwee the ' and the number so I usually edit the
number highlight the are from the beginning up to before the first number
click Ctrl C and then paste it into the find what area

if this helps please click yes, thanks

"Erika" wrote:

I received a spreadsheet from a customer and all of the information in the
spreadsheet has a ' in front of all the numbers entered. You can not see the
' until you attempt to edit the cell.

What did the customer do that those are showing up and how do I get rid of
them without editing each cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please ensure you check your Find/Replace Options and that you do not have
Match Entire Cell Contents checked.

Assuming you can have the single quote deleted, you may also need to force
format the cells as number.

You can do this by typing 1 in a blank cell, copy, highlight your row of
numbers, paste special/Multiply.

"Erika" wrote:

I received a spreadsheet from a customer and all of the information in the
spreadsheet has a ' in front of all the numbers entered. You can not see the
' until you attempt to edit the cell.

What did the customer do that those are showing up and how do I get rid of
them without editing each cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
Highlight the column, go to Data, Text to columns, delimited, check the box
that says semicolon, next next
Format your column as general