Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Not Responding

I am working in a largish Excel file on Windows XP. It's about 312,000
records long. I am trying to delete the last 50,000 or so records and
everytime I select the records and hit delete, Excel gets hung up and I have
to force quit. Same thing when I try to do a Find/Replace on one of the
columns. I tried rebooting my machine. My husband suggested turning off our
security software, since it is new and perhaps the cause of the problem?
Anyone else have a similar situation?

Many thanks in advance,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have a lot of formulas either in the sheet or that calc off yoru
sheet, you can go to Tools Options Calculation Manual

then, you can do your deletions or Find/Replaces and change back to automatic.

"Floydene" wrote:

I am working in a largish Excel file on Windows XP. It's about 312,000
records long. I am trying to delete the last 50,000 or so records and
everytime I select the records and hit delete, Excel gets hung up and I have
to force quit. Same thing when I try to do a Find/Replace on one of the
columns. I tried rebooting my machine. My husband suggested turning off our
security software, since it is new and perhaps the cause of the problem?
Anyone else have a similar situation?

Many thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What is actual file size in MB or KB? Not the number of records.

How much RAM do you have?

What happens if you select 10,000 records and try to delete them?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 21 May 2009 12:31:08 -0700, Floydene
wrote:

I am working in a largish Excel file on Windows XP. It's about 312,000
records long. I am trying to delete the last 50,000 or so records and
everytime I select the records and hit delete, Excel gets hung up and I have
to force quit. Same thing when I try to do a Find/Replace on one of the
columns. I tried rebooting my machine. My husband suggested turning off our
security software, since it is new and perhaps the cause of the problem?
Anyone else have a similar situation?

Many thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sean and Gord,

Thanks to you both for responding to my post. The answer, it turns out,
related to a security pack that I had not yet downloaded for XP following
replacement of my MB. Once I installed the security pack, I was able to
search and replace tens of thousands of records in seconds without having
Excel crash afterward.

Again, I thank you for responding to my plea.

wrote:

I am working in a largish Excel file on Windows XP. It's about 312,000
records long. I am trying to delete the last 50,000 or so records and
everytime I select the records and hit delete, Excel gets hung up and I have
to force quit. Same thing when I try to do a Find/Replace on one of the
columns. I tried rebooting my machine. My husband suggested turning off our
security software, since it is new and perhaps the cause of the problem?
Anyone else have a similar situation?

Many thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sean & Gord:

Thanks for responding! The solution lay in a service pack (is that what
it's called?) that I had not downloaded after purchase of a new computer last
month. But now we're up and running again.

Thanks again!