Cantor Lieberman

Default merging data from two different sheets

As Cantor of a large synagogue, I'd like to have membership data on my palm
pilot. My office provided me with two files:
1. Includes ID, names, addresses, birthdates, phones...etc.
2. Includes ID, children's names and birthdates.

Using the ID as the common link, how can I easily merge the correct
children's names with parental records, creating one file which I can import
to Outlook and thus sync with my palm.

Appreciate your help!
Robert
Peo Sjoblom

Assume that you will use the table with most info (number 1 in your
description)
Assume also for simplicity that the first ID starts in A2 with a ID header
in A1 (still in the 1st file)
Now in the first empty adjacent column to the right in row 2 put

=VLOOKUP($A2,[children.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$E$200,COLUMN(B:B),0)

where A2 holds the ID in the main table that will be looked up in the
children table

now copy the formula across as long as needed, if the children table is 4
columns across then
copy 3 columns across, then copy down.

Once you have copied down copy the new columns that have been added and in
place do editpaste special as values. That way the new values become
independent of the old values, finally if needed shuffle the new columns and
cut and insert if you want the children's names next to the parents etc

Peo Sjoblom

"Cantor Lieberman" <Cantor wrote in
message ...
As Cantor of a large synagogue, I'd like to have membership data on my
palm
pilot. My office provided me with two files:
1. Includes ID, names, addresses, birthdates, phones...etc.
2. Includes ID, children's names and birthdates.

Using the ID as the common link, how can I easily merge the correct
children's names with parental records, creating one file which I can
import
to Outlook and thus sync with my palm.

Appreciate your help!
Robert

Rowan

Peo

I was going to give the same answer but then I thought that it's likely that
the children's data is on multiple rows i.e.
ID1234 Child1
ID1234 Child2
ID5555 Child1
etc

If this is the case then I was thinking the Vlookup would only find the
first child

Regards
Rowan