Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default COmparing a cell with a colum of data

Hi iam having trouble wiht my formula

=IF(A2='[Area 43-52 New Floc Upload.xls]Area 43-52 New Floc
Upload'!$A:$A,"New","Old")

or even

=IF(K12=L1:L15,"YAY","NA")

It will only check if the data is on the same row. I want excel to compare
one particular cell with all the cells in a whole entrie column for a match
and then tell me yes or no.

How do i do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to enter a formula for each line to receive a Yay/Nay response for
each.
The way you've entered it is indicative of a formulaic array, however, you
would need to encapsulate it further for the data to make sense.
Eddie
http://www.HelpExcel.com

"Dingerz" wrote:

Hi iam having trouble wiht my formula

=IF(A2='[Area 43-52 New Floc Upload.xls]Area 43-52 New Floc
Upload'!$A:$A,"New","Old")

or even

=IF(K12=L1:L15,"YAY","NA")

It will only check if the data is on the same row. I want excel to compare
one particular cell with all the cells in a whole entrie column for a match
and then tell me yes or no.

How do i do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(K12,L1:L15,0)),"NA","YAY")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Dingerz" wrote:

Hi iam having trouble wiht my formula

=IF(A2='[Area 43-52 New Floc Upload.xls]Area 43-52 New Floc
Upload'!$A:$A,"New","Old")

or even

=IF(K12=L1:L15,"YAY","NA")

It will only check if the data is on the same row. I want excel to compare
one particular cell with all the cells in a whole entrie column for a match
and then tell me yes or no.

How do i do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Jacob that was helpful. Can you help me further....

As well as saying Yay or Nay how do i make the cell tell me which cells a
match was found in. Eg: Yay, L1,L2,L6

Also when i drag down a series of formulas using the crosshair that appears
in the botoom right hand corner of the cell it changes the formula. For
example,

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(I7,A1:A15,0)),"NA","YAY")
=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(I8,A2:A16,0)),"NA","YAY")

I want only one column to increment by this i mean:
=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(I7,A1:A15,0)),"NA","YAY")
=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(I8,A1:A15,0)),"NA","YAY")
=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(I9,A1:A15,0)),"NA","YAY")

How do i do this without having to type the formula in over and over again.

Thanks for your hlp

"Dingerz" wrote:

Hi iam having trouble wiht my formula

=IF(A2='[Area 43-52 New Floc Upload.xls]Area 43-52 New Floc
Upload'!$A:$A,"New","Old")

or even

=IF(K12=L1:L15,"YAY","NA")

It will only check if the data is on the same row. I want excel to compare
one particular cell with all the cells in a whole entrie column for a match
and then tell me yes or no.

How do i do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For the second query use absolute reference like below

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(I7,$A$1:$A$15,0)),"NA","YAY")

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"Dingerz" wrote:

Hi iam having trouble wiht my formula

=IF(A2='[Area 43-52 New Floc Upload.xls]Area 43-52 New Floc
Upload'!$A:$A,"New","Old")

or even

=IF(K12=L1:L15,"YAY","NA")

It will only check if the data is on the same row. I want excel to compare
one particular cell with all the cells in a whole entrie column for a match
and then tell me yes or no.

How do i do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using a formula you can get the number of instances; but to return the cell
references as a comma separated text you will have to use a UserDefined
Function.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Dingerz" wrote:

Hi iam having trouble wiht my formula

=IF(A2='[Area 43-52 New Floc Upload.xls]Area 43-52 New Floc
Upload'!$A:$A,"New","Old")

or even

=IF(K12=L1:L15,"YAY","NA")

It will only check if the data is on the same row. I want excel to compare
one particular cell with all the cells in a whole entrie column for a match
and then tell me yes or no.

How do i do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks jacob,

If i can tdo that is it possible to make it tell me the contents of the cell
next to it.

For example:

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(I9,A1:A15,0)),"NA",******CELL CONTENTS OF B.XXX.***)

Where B.XXX. is row B and the column where a match was found

"Dingerz" wrote:

Hi iam having trouble wiht my formula

=IF(A2='[Area 43-52 New Floc Upload.xls]Area 43-52 New Floc
Upload'!$A:$A,"New","Old")

or even

=IF(K12=L1:L15,"YAY","NA")

It will only check if the data is on the same row. I want excel to compare
one particular cell with all the cells in a whole entrie column for a match
and then tell me yes or no.

How do i do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To returrn value from B for a match in A try this

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(I9,A1:A15,0)),"NA",INDEX(B1:B15, MATCH(I9,A1:A15,0)))

Alternatively you may use the VLOOKUP function

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria