Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I lock a linked cell formula??

I am creating a template for a workbook of forms. Each sheet links to
the previous one. (ie once they enter data to the first sheet it copies
across to all sheets so they don't have to re-enter the data every
time). I have done this by linking the cells.

However I want to protect the link formula so that if they enter data
then delete it they only delete the data not the link formula. Is this
possible...please help!

--
lauraroebuck
lauraroebuck's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=289

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

But they need to enter data on the other sheets.

What happens is they can overwrite the data that has copied across if
it has changed. It has conditional formatting so that any changes are
hightlighted as red

So thanks for your reply but this does not help me

--
lauraroebuck
lauraroebuck's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=289
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=93655

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can't as it is the same cells that they need to enter data into

--
lauraroebuck
lauraroebuck's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=289
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=93655

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't have it both ways. If you want it to be formula then they're not
suuposed to fill in information into those cells. They are supposed to be
calculated with every change in the varinats in the formula

"lauraroebuck" wrote:

I can't as it is the same cells that they need to enter data into

--
lauraroebuck
lauraroebuck's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=289
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=93655

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks but you obviously don't understand my requirements and your

lauraroebuck
lauraroebuck's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=289
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=93655

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So perhaps you might consider the situation where the only person who has
tried to help you "obviously doesn't understand your requirements", and then
you might consider whether you have unambiguously specified your
requirements. Which cells have formulae? Which cells are you wanting to
leave free for the user to insert data? Perhaps you could give an example?
If you have a cell with a formula and in that cell you are allowing a user
to overwrite the formula with data, then you are not subsequently going to
be able to retrieve the formula in that cell because it does not exist there
after you have over-written it with data; that is what over-writing does.
--
David Biddulph

"lauraroebuck" wrote in message

Thanks but you obviously don't understand my requirements and your
lauraroebuck
lauraroebuck's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=289
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=93655

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Apologies to assaf1978 if my reply seemed abrupt! I realise my
explanation is not that clear - hard to explain via text rather than
face to face! This is the first time I have used a forum like this some
replies feel patronising.

Yes David you are right in your explanation "..have a cell with a
formula and in that cell you are allowing a user to overwrite the
formula with data, then you are not subsequently going to be able to
retrieve the formula in that cell because it does not exist there after
you have over-written it with data; that is what over-writing does" I am
aware of this and this is the point of my question is there anyway to
lock the formula only do that it does not get deleted?

thanks

--
lauraroebuck
lauraroebuck's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=289
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=93655

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

lauraroebuck;334998 Wrote:
I am creating a template for a workbook of forms. Each sheet links to
the previous one. (ie once they enter data to the first sheet it copies
across to all sheets so they don't have to re-enter the data every
time). I have done this by linking the cells.

However I want to protect the link formula so that if they enter data
then delete it they only delete the data not the link formula. Is this
possible...please help!

Welcome to the board!, perhaps, do this on your other sheets: press
Ctrl+A (all cells selected), right click in selection, choose format
cells, Protection tab uncheck locked click ok, select A1 repeat the same
but check locked and hidden then protect the worksheet, now the whole
sheet will be editable but the formula protected!

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=93655

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

lauraroebuck;335460 Wrote:
Apologies to assaf1978 if my reply seemed abrupt! I realise my
explanation is not that clear - hard to explain via text rather than
face to face! This is the first time I have used a forum like this some
replies feel patronising.

Yes David you are right in your explanation "..have a cell with a
formula and in that cell you are allowing a user to overwrite the
formula with data, then you are not subsequently going to be able to
retrieve the formula in that cell because it does not exist there after
you have over-written it with data; that is what over-writing does" I am
aware of this and this is the point of my question is there anyway to
lock the formula only do that it does not get deleted?

thanks

Did you see this post
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/335465-post10.html

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=93655

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Simon but his doesn't work either as if they overtype then delete
it still deletes the formula. I want the formula to be protected from
being deleted. Starting to think it is not possible!

--
lauraroebuck
lauraroebuck's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=289
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=93655

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

lauraroebuck;338204 Wrote:
Thanks Simon but his doesn't work either as if they overtype then delete
it still deletes the formula. I want the formula to be protected from
being deleted. Starting to think it is not possible!Laura it's not possible!, here check out the test book i have done for

you!

|Filename: Laura testbook.xls |
|Download: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/attachment.php?attachmentid=130|

Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=93655

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Simon, sorry I am not very good at explaining what I need - they
still need to be able to type in the cell!

--
lauraroebuck
lauraroebuck's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=289
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=93655

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes. You are now beginning to understand what we've been saying. When
someone overtypes the formula with data, the formula isn't there in the cell
any more. It has gone. It is no longer a formula. You no longer have a
formula. You have data instead of the formula. The cell can't contain both
data and formula at the same time. It can contain only one or the other,
not both.
--
David Biddulph