Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Work Loss

I use Excel 2000. Over the past several weeks, on 6 separate occasions, I
have lost considerable work put in on several different spreadsheets. I open
up a spreadsheet and modify it. I forget to save the changes before I go to
other applications on the desk top and/or walk away from the computer. When
I come back to bring up the spreadsheet I was working on, Excel has shut down
so I have to bring it back up. I load the spreadsheet I was working on and
all the changes I made previously are gone. There are no error messages, all
the other applications that were running are still running, nothing that
would indicate that something happened and nothing left of my work. This
just happened and I lost 3 hours of work. Anybody got any ideas as to what
migh be happening?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're saying that Excel shuts itself down while you are away from the
computer or working on some other application?

No error messages and other applications remain OK?

I have not seen this behaviour with Excel...............crashes, yes, but
always with some type of message.

How often does it occur?

Does 2000 have a detect and repair function under Help?

Until you find the source of the problem, I would suggest saving regularly.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:52:01 -0700, Brion G. <Brion
wrote:

I use Excel 2000. Over the past several weeks, on 6 separate occasions, I
have lost considerable work put in on several different spreadsheets. I open
up a spreadsheet and modify it. I forget to save the changes before I go to
other applications on the desk top and/or walk away from the computer. When
I come back to bring up the spreadsheet I was working on, Excel has shut down
so I have to bring it back up. I load the spreadsheet I was working on and
all the changes I made previously are gone. There are no error messages, all
the other applications that were running are still running, nothing that
would indicate that something happened and nothing left of my work. This
just happened and I lost 3 hours of work. Anybody got any ideas as to what
migh be happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, Excel shuts itself down while I'm away from the
computer or working on some other application.
AND
There are no error messages and other applications remain OK.

It has happened six times in the last 4 weeks.

After it happened th second time, I realized that I need to save regularly,
but I forget this prime command in the heat of the spreadsheet project.

Detect and repair does not work.

Brion G.

wrote:

I use Excel 2000. Over the past several weeks, on 6 separate occasions, I
have lost considerable work put in on several different spreadsheets. I open
up a spreadsheet and modify it. I forget to save the changes before I go to
other applications on the desk top and/or walk away from the computer. When
I come back to bring up the spreadsheet I was working on, Excel has shut down
so I have to bring it back up. I load the spreadsheet I was working on and
all the changes I made previously are gone. There are no error messages, all
the other applications that were running are still running, nothing that
would indicate that something happened and nothing left of my work. This
just happened and I lost 3 hours of work. Anybody got any ideas as to what
migh be happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can't help with the Excel shutting itself down.

As far as saving, Excel 2000 has the AutoSave add-in which regularly
overwrites/saves your workbook at an interval you designate.

Gord