Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Saving Group Information

I have three data sets in Access 2007 that I am linking to Excel 2007, in
order to do regression analysis. There is a common data field in the three
data sets that requires significant grouping that cannot be automated and
must be done manually. Therefore, I have tried to use PTs to do the
grouping, but don't want to have to re-do the grouping in each data set. Is
there a way to "share" grouping information across PTs or to create a new
data field that contains that information?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, I always like to learn new things, so I figured since I have no clue
what a "PT" could be for Excel or Access, I'd just google it. So I've
learned it's either Physical Therapy or Program Trading. Still not
completely sure what they have to do with Excel or Access.

"J Austin" wrote:

I have three data sets in Access 2007 that I am linking to Excel 2007, in
order to do regression analysis. There is a common data field in the three
data sets that requires significant grouping that cannot be automated and
must be done manually. Therefore, I have tried to use PTs to do the
grouping, but don't want to have to re-do the grouping in each data set. Is
there a way to "share" grouping information across PTs or to create a new
data field that contains that information?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm still not completely sure what your question is, but it seems to me you
can either define a relationship between the 3 Access tables - since they all
share the same field - linking the field. Alternatively, you could create a
query that pulls in your data field - 3 times ?? maybe. There may be others
here who can better help you, but I would suggest you might try to explain
your problem a little more clearly.

"J Austin" wrote:

I have three data sets in Access 2007 that I am linking to Excel 2007, in
order to do regression analysis. There is a common data field in the three
data sets that requires significant grouping that cannot be automated and
must be done manually. Therefore, I have tried to use PTs to do the
grouping, but don't want to have to re-do the grouping in each data set. Is
there a way to "share" grouping information across PTs or to create a new
data field that contains that information?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

dhstein,

Yes, I could do a lot of manipulation in Access, but the issue is when I get
to Excel and wanting to do regression analysis on the three data sets, I have
this data field with approximately 3000 records that at least half need to be
grouped to account for variability in how that data field was originally
created (probably 20,000 people had a hand in inputting the data and it can't
be changed). I want to do the regression analysis with the "groups" in this
field being a major filter. Having to do the grouping in the three separate
linked files will take a lot of work, so I'm trying to find a way to share
the grouping between the three data sets as the grouping would be common to
all three data sets.

Thanks for responding