Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default link comments to another excel file

Our team keeps a 'main' spreadsheet for project management. Each of the
project entries in the main file links to our separate & individual project
files. I use 'comments' in the 'progress' field but the comments are not
showing up in the 'main' file.

Is is possible to link to comments contained in another xls file?

Many thanks in advance
Drew
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think I have a solution for you.

You can link to information in another excel file by using the formula
=[file.xls]sheet1!$a$1

I believe as long as the source file is open it should automatically update
as well.

"DrewM" wrote:

Our team keeps a 'main' spreadsheet for project management. Each of the
project entries in the main file links to our separate & individual project
files. I use 'comments' in the 'progress' field but the comments are not
showing up in the 'main' file.

Is is possible to link to comments contained in another xls file?

Many thanks in advance
Drew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Many thanks for the reply, Bojingles03! I apologize that I wasn't as
completely clear as I should have been in my post; the 'main' file is used by
my boss to quickly scan all team members progress at any given time. My file
won't always be open; most likely not when he opens it. I only open my
individual file when I need to update my items. The main file is already
linked to each individual team files; but my comments are not being pulled
in. I could put the data/comments directly into the cell, but then that
clutters up the main file (long comments; BIG cell/boxes). I was hoping that
the comments would pull in to the main file the same way they are in my
individual file.
Thanks again!
Drew