Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JK JK is offline

Default Calculate Pounds Per Hour

First of all, I posted a this same question earlier, and I received a
response, but I'm unable to open it. I also tried to search for my post in
the Excel Comm. but I can't find it. If anyone has any idea why - I'd love to
know.

Anyway, this is what I need to do. I need to calculate the number of pounds
produced per hour based on the following fields.

Start Time (1:20), End Time (4:12), Pounds Produced (2,240), Hours it took
to produce lbs (2.87).

I need to know how many pounds can be produced in one hour. I can't figure
this out!

Thanks,
Jason
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pounds produced (2,240) / Hours it took (2.87)

Answer: 780.49 lbs per hour.

Note that you hours it took, in formula, is
=(End time - Start time)*24
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"JK" wrote:

First of all, I posted a this same question earlier, and I received a
response, but I'm unable to open it. I also tried to search for my post in
the Excel Comm. but I can't find it. If anyone has any idea why - I'd love to
know.

Anyway, this is what I need to do. I need to calculate the number of pounds
produced per hour based on the following fields.

Start Time (1:20), End Time (4:12), Pounds Produced (2,240), Hours it took
to produce lbs (2.87).

I need to know how many pounds can be produced in one hour. I can't figure
this out!

Thanks,
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

BTW, link to your other discussion (it's on page 2 of this forum, currently)
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...5-38fa7c1bfed5
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"JK" wrote:

First of all, I posted a this same question earlier, and I received a
response, but I'm unable to open it. I also tried to search for my post in
the Excel Comm. but I can't find it. If anyone has any idea why - I'd love to
know.

Anyway, this is what I need to do. I need to calculate the number of pounds
produced per hour based on the following fields.

Start Time (1:20), End Time (4:12), Pounds Produced (2,240), Hours it took
to produce lbs (2.87).

I need to know how many pounds can be produced in one hour. I can't figure
this out!

Thanks,
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If A1 holds the start time (1:20) and B1 the end time (4:12) then the lapsed
time is B1-A1
If C1 hold the amount produced (2240) the =C1/(B1-A1) computes the
pounds/hour
But Excel is too helpful and display the answer in time format (11:48); we
need to format the cell as General to display which gives 18753.49. Now this
is clearly wrong since the lapse time is about 3 hours so the rate of
production is therefore approx 750 lbs/hr

The trouble is Excel stores time as a fraction of a day while it displays it
in hours. We need to convert the days to real hours using =C1/((B1-A1)*24)
which gives 781/39 lbs/hr

best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme