Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Creating a dropdown list based on selection from a differernt drop

I don't know if this is possible within excel or if you have to use another
program like Access to do it. I would love to see is some Excel Genius could
help me out.

I'm trying to create a dropdown list based on what value was selected in a
previous cell's dropdown list. Here's a simple example...

The first dropdown list allows you to pick either 'Burger' or 'Soda'.
Depending on which is selected, then second dropdown gives you a different
set of options:

- If 'Burger' was picked, then it gives you only the choices 'Plain' or
'Cheese'.
- If 'Soda' was picked, then it gives you only the choices of 'Coke',
'Sprite' or 'Root Beer'.

This is a very simple example, but I'm trying to apply this same logic to
something that would have 6 different dropdowns going across the columns and
each of their lists would be dependant upon what was selected in the previous
dropdown. Also, each list would consist of about 20 different values, so
this gets to be very large. If someone can explain how to do it with
Burger/Soda example above, then I could apply it to the bigger task at hand.

Please tell me SOMEONE reading this is smart enough in Excel to figure it
out and explain it. It would be a HUGE life saver! Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
this is called cascading combos or dependent combos.
have a look at this site

you didn't say what kind of dropdown you are using. the above is for data
validation. there is another page on the site for combo boxes. snoop around.

Regards
FSt1

"Joey Spreadsheets" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm trying to figure out how to do the EXACT same thing. Unfortunately since
you posted this over two months ago and haven't gotten a response yet I'm
thinking that it's not possible... Hopefully a second request on this might
give it more visibility.

"Joey Spreadsheets" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Greg

See Debra Dalgleish's site for instructions on dependent DV lists.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP