BigRon

Default How do you define variables in excel?

I am setting up a spreadsheet to keep track of my students. I want to use
excel if possible to keep track of lates, left early, attendance, etc, as my
grades are kept there already. I was wondering if you can assign values to
variables to accomplish this and how to define them.
Thanks

BigRon

I have several sheets with grades, assignments, etc, that I use the info from
for my midterm report and the final report. On the final report we now have
to include how many days absent, late, or left early. Each late or left
early counts as 1/3 of a day missed (every three count as an absence), I need
to list how many times they left early, were late, or were absent separately
on my final cover sheet.

"BigRon" wrote in message
I am setting up a spreadsheet to keep track of my students. I want to use
excel if possible to keep track of lates, left early, attendance, etc, as

my
grades are kept there already. I was wondering if you can assign values

variables to accomplish this and how to define them.
Thanks

Bob Phillips

But that is exactly what formulas and functions are for, and can easily
achieve, without variables.You just need to design the spreadsheets to
accumulate/aggregate/analyse the data.

--

HTH

RP

"BigRon" wrote in message
I am setting up a spreadsheet to keep track of my students. I want to

use
excel if possible to keep track of lates, left early, attendance, etc,

as
my
grades are kept there already. I was wondering if you can assign

values
variables to accomplish this and how to define them.
Thanks

BigRon

I see, I guess I am not sure how to tranlate the Lates, Absences, and Left
early entries to track them. I sn't seem to get countif to work to count
them, is there another way?

"BigRon" wrote in message
I am setting up a spreadsheet to keep track of my students. I want to

use
excel if possible to keep track of lates, left early, attendance, etc,

as
my
grades are kept there already. I was wondering if you can assign

values
variables to accomplish this and how to define them.
Thanks

Bob Phillips

It is a bit difficult as I don't know how you have structured your data, but
as an example, if you use the letter 'l' for a lateness in D1:D100, you can
add this to the absence count

=SUMPRODUCT(--(D1:D100="l"))/3

--

HTH