Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "Last cell" in Excel 2003 is way past end of data, how do i fix?

When I use "Go To", "Special", "Last cell" in my spread sheet, the cursor
goes many rows past the end of the data. ie. about 36 rows past the last data
row.

This is a problem because when I import this data into a blank Access table
all 43 rows are imported (36 are blank) and the import gives me an error
message.

I've tried deleting from the last data row +1 past the row of the "last
cell" but the last cell remains in the same relative location.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to reset the used range:

http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"silverfox52" wrote in message
When I use "Go To", "Special", "Last cell" in my spread sheet, the cursor
goes many rows past the end of the data. ie. about 36 rows past the last
data
row.

This is a problem because when I import this data into a blank Access
table
all 43 rows are imported (36 are blank) and the import gives me an error
message.

I've tried deleting from the last data row +1 past the row of the "last
cell" but the last cell remains in the same relative location.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Delete (not clear contents) the blank rows. Save the workbook and the last
cell should be reset.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"silverfox52" wrote:

When I use "Go To", "Special", "Last cell" in my spread sheet, the cursor
goes many rows past the end of the data. ie. about 36 rows past the last data
row.

This is a problem because when I import this data into a blank Access table
all 43 rows are imported (36 are blank) and the import gives me an error
message.

I've tried deleting from the last data row +1 past the row of the "last
cell" but the last cell remains in the same relative location.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The Last Cell will grow as data is added to a spreadsheet. But will only
shrink, when the workbook is saved. So, even if you delete all the cells
below and to the right of your data, the last cell will not be updated until
you save your workbook.

HTH
Elkar

"silverfox52" wrote:

When I use "Go To", "Special", "Last cell" in my spread sheet, the cursor
goes many rows past the end of the data. ie. about 36 rows past the last data
row.

This is a problem because when I import this data into a blank Access table
all 43 rows are imported (36 are blank) and the import gives me an error
message.

I've tried deleting from the last data row +1 past the row of the "last
cell" but the last cell remains in the same relative location.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

And for future reference Ctrl+End does the same thing as Edit, Go To,
Special, Last Cell.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"silverfox52" wrote:

When I use "Go To", "Special", "Last cell" in my spread sheet, the cursor
goes many rows past the end of the data. ie. about 36 rows past the last data
row.

This is a problem because when I import this data into a blank Access table
all 43 rows are imported (36 are blank) and the import gives me an error
message.

I've tried deleting from the last data row +1 past the row of the "last
cell" but the last cell remains in the same relative location.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The most common cause of the last cell being set outside the worksheet range
that is currently in use is excessive formatting. When you format whole rows
and columns, some types of formatting can cause the last cell to be set to a
cell far below or to the right of the actual range that is in use.

Try to select the extra rows and choose Edit-Clear All
Repeat with Columns, if required.

Test by GoTo-Special and choose Current Region...

"silverfox52" wrote:

When I use "Go To", "Special", "Last cell" in my spread sheet, the cursor
goes many rows past the end of the data. ie. about 36 rows past the last data
row.

This is a problem because when I import this data into a blank Access table
all 43 rows are imported (36 are blank) and the import gives me an error
message.

I've tried deleting from the last data row +1 past the row of the "last
cell" but the last cell remains in the same relative location.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sheeloo

Couple or three points....................

Has nothing to do with excess cells being formatted.

Once upon a time the excess range was filled then "cleared", leaving behind
the false used range.

EditClear All will not reset the used range.

You must EditDelete

And selecting Current Region will not show you the false used range.

Current Region only shows contiguous non-blank cells in any region.

CTRL + End will show you the used range.

Workbook must be saved before the new usedrange is set.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"silverfox52" wrote:

When I use "Go To", "Special", "Last cell" in my spread sheet, the cursor
goes many rows past the end of the data. ie. about 36 rows past the last data
row.

This is a problem because when I import this data into a blank Access table
all 43 rows are imported (36 are blank) and the import gives me an error
message.

I've tried deleting from the last data row +1 past the row of the "last
cell" but the last cell remains in the same relative location.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dk dk is offline

When I pressed Ctrl+End, the cursor went WAAAAY to the end of the
spreadsheet, rather than just to end of of the area where the data is
located. How do I accomplish that?

"silverfox52" wrote:

When I use "Go To", "Special", "Last cell" in my spread sheet, the cursor
goes many rows past the end of the data. ie. about 36 rows past the last data
row.

This is a problem because when I import this data into a blank Access table
all 43 rows are imported (36 are blank) and the import gives me an error
message.

I've tried deleting from the last data row +1 past the row of the "last
cell" but the last cell remains in the same relative location.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Select a column to the right of your dataControl+Shift+Cursor right arrow
to select all columns to the rightRight clickDelete
Select a row below your dataControl+Shift+Cursor down arrow to select all
rows belowRight clickDelete

Save the file. Close the file. Reopen

--
Regards