barrie

Default Frequnecy Circular References

I am a professor and have a spread sheet containing student grades. I am
trying to use the frequency function so that I can then create a chart
showing how many grades occured within certain grade ranges. I've got column
B with the students' grades (B50:B60) and column C with the bins (C50:C58)
using score ranges 30, 40, 50 etc. Whenever I finish entering the array
formulas from a cell in column D, a box appears that I have a circular
reference and it assigns a value of 0. I've followed all the instructions
for trying to fix it, and I've read the knowledge base articles. But I am
not a computer science professor and cannot understand what I've done wrong
or how to fix it. Can anyone please help me? Here are my columns B and C:

60.72
41.4
56.58
71.76
45.54
73.14
37.26
73.14
80.04
60.72
55.2

30
40
50
60
70
80
90
100

--
Thanks very much!!
Barrie
Biff

Hi!

With the grades in the range B50:B60, the "bins" in the
range C50:C57

Select the range D49:D57.

Type this formula in the Formula Bar and enter it with the
key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=FREQUENCY(B50:B60,C50:C57)

An alternative to using an array. In D50 enter this
formula and copy down to D57:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B$50:B$60=C50),--(B$50:B$60<=C50+10))

Biff

.